Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bills & New Symptoms

4 posters

Go down

Bills & New Symptoms Empty Bills & New Symptoms

Post by Laura Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 am

I am so frustrated with medical bills. I'll get by-but they are starting to eat up so much of my income. I was on student insurance that doesn't cover much-so I racked up some bills there. I finally paid off most of them but still pay monthly on two. I started a full-time job in Dec and was looking forward to real insurance. HA! It seems to be just a discount plan. I have paid so much towards prescription drugs. Granted, a $200 scrip may only cost $70-but it adds up when trying so many meds looking for something that works. Now I've learned that I owe a significant amount on an emergency room visit. Now - another monthly payment plan! It just all adds up.

Now I want to see my doc again because my symptoms are different. But I’m afraid of more bills. I stopped one med and started another. My attacks are happening less frequently and are less severe. I'm SO pleased! But I think I had my first aura-it only lasted for a few seconds - I saw a patch of bright black & white checkers flickering in my field of vision. Then later I got a mild migraine that I have had since Friday. But it was not a full blown full body attack, so last night I went for a casual bike ride. I think I got an exertion headache. I have a throbbing pain that spreads over the top of my entire head-different from my usual head pain which is unilateral.

I hate the US medical system. It should encourage use of doctors. Should I call my doc - I know he'll want to see me. But that will mean more payments that I literally cannot afford (plus I don't want to miss more work- I hate being THAT employee) or just wait and see (a headache won't kill me) but pray I don't end up in the emergency room.

Well -that is my rant for the day. I needed to get that out. Thanks for the forum.
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Bills & New Symptoms Empty Re: Bills & New Symptoms

Post by akrohn Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 am

Oh my goodness, I agree wholeheartedly! We have crappy insurance. My regular doctor (not neuro), who I usually run to when I can't break a headache, because they have walk-in hours, actually told me that I would be better off if I did NOT have insurance, because they could offer me a 25% discount. I have whittled down my $2400 balance to $1100 by making monthly payments, not to mention the ER payments, the allergist payments, and then paying for the meds each month. And, honestly, stressing over money is a huge trigger for me. So, when I have a knock-down, drag-out migraine attack that is refractory to every med I have at home, I get to worry about how I am going to pay for the relief I so desperately need. I can empathize. It sucks.

The only idea I have for you is to call and see if you can actually speak to him and not his nurse. Then explain to him your situation, what is going on, and lay it on thick. See if you can appeal to his human side. I mean, he did supposedly decide to be a doctor to help people, right? Maybe he can discount your bill or something. It can't hurt, right? My doctor has given me a ton of med samples when I let her know that our money was really tight.

In any case, I wish you luck. Hug4
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I appreciate the advice and the empathy. It always helps to feel understood. And it can't hurt to ask - the worst he can do is say no. Thank you, :)
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I really feel for you guys..stressing about money can't help. I was remonstrating with my other half last week cause he was moaning about the NHS.
I don't think he realises that without it our family would be scuppered..there is no company on earth that would insure me or my kids and I darn't think about how the children would cope without medical treatment being free..we don't realise how lucky we are over here sometimes.
Mind you there are a lot of people who need to realise that they make unnecessary demands on the services provided and some of them would think twice if they had to pay the odd bill or two. I would like to see the NHS charge time wasters for clogging up the system..any time spent in A&E here and you see just how many idiots there are..no wonder the staff get fed up.
OK rant over..hope you manage to sort something out..I really do.
Jane
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 pm

No system is perfect. Back in the early 90s (until some new laws were passed under something called HIPPA) I had to maintain 2 health insurance policies. One with a new employer and another I had to continue under an old employer (under a continuation of coverage law called COBRA) at full cost (no employer subsidy). This was because new policies would not cover pre-existing conditions upfront and until no claims were made for the condition for 6 months. Since I had been treated for Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma about a year and a half earlier, I had to have coverage in case I had a recurrence. So for 6 months I carried 2 policies - and avoided seeing any doctors for my lymphoma until 6 months passed. It was nuts! Fortunately - HIPPA changed that. But more needs to change. For one, the historic connection linking employers and health insurance needs to be severed. One should be able to pursue work or a career without worrying about maintaining health insurance. Because with my health history no individual policy is affordable - I've checked. Well - time to go to work. Need to maintain that health insurance!! LOL! :lol:

And thanks for the good wishes. I'll work something out.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am

Oh I am so sorry you are having so much stress. There is nothing worse than being ill and not having the resources to deal with it - we are so lucky here in the UK - OK we have to wait and sometimes fight for the funding, but the NHS is always there when you need them in an emergency.

Do let us know how you get on with talking the doctor - i have heard of others who have managed to talk there way into a cheaper invoice - GOOD LUCK x
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm

Well - the doctor gave me some sample medication. A small favor.

But more importantly he relieved my concerns. He does not think I am suffering from some other grave affliction. He said it is not uncommon for migraine symptoms to change. That's good news. I was afraid he would order some expensive test like an MRI. Thankfully not.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by akrohn Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:31 pm

That is good news! You got peace of mind and needed medication for free. I am so glad you called.
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down