Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction

+5
Nekoha
Laura
pīwakawaka
Alice
Tee
9 posters

Go down

Where do you get numbness?

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap13%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 15 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap14%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 16 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap16%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 18 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap15%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 17 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap10%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 12 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap11%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap10%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 11 ]
Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_lcap11%Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 115
Back

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction Empty Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction

Post by Tee Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 am

Most of you know this - but its a nice simply article.

I have numbness almost 24/7 - i get it in my cheek, mouth, lips, arms and hands.

Tee

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction

Migraine symptoms are not always confined to the head. Sometimes there are other parts of the body that are affected by migraines. As changes occur in the brain, different sensations may be felt throughout the body. A common complaint is a feeling of numbness or tingling in a small or large area of the body. These symptoms are sometimes associated with sensory aura.

Migraine sufferers may experience:

Numb fingers
Numb face
Arm numbness
Head numbness
Numbness in the lips, tongue or legs
Numbness on one side of the body

These sensations of numbness, sometimes called sensory aura, can occur before, during or after the migraine pain begins. Most often the sensations occur on the same side of the body as the pain in the head.

About 15 percent of migraine sufferers experienced numbness in the face and 13 percent felt their leg or arm went numb, in a study of 740 migraine sufferers.

http://migraine.com/migraine-symptoms/numbness-tingling/
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction Empty Numbness

Post by Alice Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Tee,

I ticked nearly every box and I must say that I find the numbness and pins and needles quite disturbing at times. The most recent episode was last Friday when I was driving home with an impending Migraine-on the right side of brain whch was new, when the whole of my left arm went numb and very heavy so fell from the steering wheel to my lap. I kept calm and steered for a few minutes with my right arm in bumper to bumper trafic(luckily) while the feeling gradually came back enough for me to control my arm. I mentioned this numbness to GP but he said that because the numbness occurred before my migrain materialised this was not enough neurological evidence to refer me-is that alot of tosh or is he right?

I constantly have numbness before after and during HM episodes-mouth, tongue, face, head and difficulty swallowing to the point of coughing when I swallow saliva-any ideas why?

Alice

Back to top Go down

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction Empty Re: Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction

Post by Tee Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 am

HM comes with aura - I do not not want to scare you but at its worse HM can cause coma - numbness is very common -

Not sure if you have seen this:

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t250-types-of-aura

I have PM re doctors x
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction Empty Re: Migraine numbness or tingling symptoms : an introduction

Post by pīwakawaka Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:59 am

Occasionally I get numbness on the face. It starts in the area between my upper lip and nose then gradually spreads upwards and downwards until it covers half my chin and up to my eyes. It seems to happen more when I haven't had a migraine for a few days.

I haven't decided whether it's a blessing or a curse as I know a migraine is on its way. Abortives only work about 50% of the time so while I'm pleased I've got a warning sign I can recognise, I dread the fact that I only have a 50/50 chance of preventing it Sad
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 am

That's interesting as my facial numbness has got less and less as I have had the Botox - 6 yrs ago I had facial numbness (in my cheek mostly) 24/7 and was told I had permanent nerve damage and there was nothing to be done for it!!! I now get the odd day where its fine Smile.... But numbness wise the cheek is the first place to go when a mig is on its way............ I wonder if the place where the numbness starts is important and if it differs per mig type or by each person........ when I had classic migs they always started in numbness in my right hand..............

So my question is to you all where does your numbness start and what type of mig do you have????
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 am

I will start the ball rolling:

Left cheek = HM
Right hand - Classic Mig
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 am

Chronic Daily Headache and Migraine w/o Aura

Numbness in my face - on both side of my nose spreading to my cheeks - present with the CDH.

Tingling in arms and hands with Mig.

I also have a peripheral neuropathy and thought the tingling was part of that. But now I'm starting to think it is part of the mig.
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekoha Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:34 am

I only rarely experience numbness or tingling, but when I do, it is in my arm and/or leg (and hand) on the side that I have the migraine. It usually happens with the migraine, but you know, I sometimes get it at other times. I never really thought about it, but I have been tracking all my "odd symptoms" since mid February, so we will see if there is any link to migraines.
It was actually due to numbness in my leg that I fell a few weeks ago during a migraine. Sad

Nekoha

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Nekoha - when you say it comes at other times - what do you mean?.... I am just wondering of you get migraines without headache? I get loads of these through out the month - sometimes my auara (inc numbness) can be worse than the head pain Sad
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekoha Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 am

Hey Tee,
I am not really sure if I get migraines without headache. I am thinking right now that either 1) the numbness/tingling is a precursor to a big migraine or 2) it is unrelated. Since I am tracking all of my "odd symptoms" now, hopefully we will find out the answer!
Carla

Nekoha

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 am

You are doing a fab job on the diary front - I am looking forward to the results Smile

But migs with no headache are quite common...... and you can have more than one type of mig Sad
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sisterphonetica Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:42 pm

With my worst migraines (the ones that I spent days in hospital with), I had left whole arm tingling to the point of vibration) at the onset of the headache (4am, folks, every night, 4 night in a row). It went away when I threw up.
sisterphonetica
sisterphonetica

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadhoj Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 am

Never been given an official diagnosis of what type of migraine I have but my right cheek starts tingling a few days before I have one then goes numb during, after, I have tingling at the top of my right hand around the thumb and 1st finger. At its worse I've had tingling and numbness all the way from my right knee, up the outside of my thigh, over my hip and the side of my thorax up to my shoulder blade! Luckily this is fairly rare!

Broadhoj

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

I experience tingling, numbness and weakness on a daily basis with varying degrees down my left side from my face (including the left side of my tongue and left side of mouth and lips) all the way down to my left little toe. I do suffer from chronic hemiplegic migraine. However, I also have experience of Basilar-type migraine where my whole body has become paralysed with numbness, tingling and weakness.
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by LucyBee Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

I have numbness and tingling down my right side - mainly in my arm and cheek. About 4 times a year my right arm gets to the point where I can't move it. The brain sends the signal to my arm, but nothing happens!
I've been taking pregablin and amitriptaline for it, which has taken the worst off.
How long do you find the severest of numbness/tingling lasts? Has anyone found any ways to help relieve the symptoms without medication?

LucyBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down