Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stroke facts and symptoms

2 posters

Go down

Stroke facts and symptoms Empty Stroke facts and symptoms

Post by Tee Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am

Stroke facts and symptoms
St. Petersburg Times
First Posted: June 15, 2011 - 10:05 am
Last Updated: June 15, 2011 - 10:05 am

Chronic migraine headaches, undetected high blood pressure, high cholesterol, use of birth control pills and smoking -- in combination or even individually -- all are major risk factors for strokes in young people. They also are at risk for "silent strokes'' --which show up on magnetic resonance imaging, but usually cause only slight memory, balance or information processing problems, all easily attributed to stress or fatigue.

"When we find these strokes and can tell people there are things you can do to prevent this from happening again, they are so relieved, it's a celebration," said Albakri.

STROKE FACTS

--A stroke occurs about every 40 seconds in the United States.

-- The number of stroke deaths has declined in recent years due to better treatment, but it's still the third leading cause of death.

-- Women are more likely to die of stroke than men.

-- One-quarter of strokes occur in people under age 65.

SYMPTOMS:

-- Common stroke symptoms seen in both men and women strike suddenly and include: numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body; confusion and trouble speaking or understanding; trouble seeing or walking; dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; severe headache.

-- Women also may report symptoms such as sudden face and limb pain, hiccups or nausea; general weakness; chest pain, shortness of breath and palpitations.

RISK FACTORS

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/strokeside061511/strokeside061511/
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Stroke facts and symptoms Empty Re: Stroke facts and symptoms

Post by wildone Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am

Like it Tee, after my stroke my wife uses the F.A.S.T approach as widely advertised by the NHS, but of course the symptons are almost identical to a HM, which is why I have asked the docs many times what should I do ???
And the answer comes back, do what you think is best, which like many migraine sufferers just believe its yet another migraine, but could be something more serious.

Graham

wildone

Back to top Go down