Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did you start to have migraines?

+8
pīwakawaka
Kala
Sheena Hulston
onandoffagain
chaos8569
Sarah
whitzendJane
Tee
12 posters

Go down

When did you start to have migraines? Empty When did you start to have migraines?

Post by Tee Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 am

I have had classical migraine since I was 13 years old and I am sure they were linked to my periods at that age - they would start with a tingling in my right hand, which would travel up my arm, hit my mouth (speech became slurry) then it would hit my eyes (aura would kick in) then bang the head (yep horses kicking you in the head).

But I learnt, that I had about 20 mins from the tingle in my hand to get home and into a very dark room, where I would lay very still for 24 hrs.

The sad thing is that at this stage in my life, my mum had no idea of the amount of pain I was going through, so I was never given a treatment, it was only as I got older that I saw a doctor myslef that I was given MIGRALEVE™.

Did you have migraine as a child, was it taken seriously?
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

When did you start to have migraines? Empty Re: When did you start to have migraines?

Post by whitzendJane Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 am

I had a couple in my 20's ( and I do mean 2) but it was linked to some medication I was taking..once it was stopped I didn't get another one until I was in my 30's.

I didn't know what was happening and these dull headaches would come and go..they weren't classic migs so I just put them down to stressy headaches (my job was taxing me at the time). I also felt odd, disconnected at times and was diagnosed with panic attacks because loud noises and busy places were beginning to trigger dizziness and confusion in me. Looking back with the knowledge I have gained now I think maybe these were the beginnings of my problems.

When my boys were born nearly 5 years ago I suffered a massive hemorrhage and and eclamptic seizure whist under going an emergency C section. At first I put my debilitating symptoms down to my raised blood pressure and the stress of being ill, recovering from the birth and being a 40 year old first time, mother of twin babies.

Things never let up, I was sick at the drop of a hat including motion sickness, which I had never had before. I fell over, was clumsy, forgot loads including sentences. My head hurt constantly and my temper was mercurial. The I noticed my pupils were different sizes and my left eye now was permanently drooping, I was having trouble driving in the dark and sometimes have very short burst of blindness. I could also just suddenly drop to the floor for no apparent reason..I was always fully conscious but like a puppet who had had the strings cut. Weakness and numbness in my face and fingers were a constant feature.

Due to my pupils I rang the optician and he told me to go straight to hospital...I didn't fancy this so saw my GP..who sent me straight to neurology. MRI's, CT's and a week in hospital. I was given amitriptyline discharged.... took me a while to get to the headache clinic where things were taken much more sympathetically. I would like to thank the Cluster headache Group (OUCH) who did their utmost to support me during this terrible period, when I doubted my own sanity.

Jane
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

When did you start to have migraines? Empty Re: When did you start to have migraines?

Post by Sarah Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 am

Age 11 for me. Sad My mum had always had them, so as soon as I couldn't read the writing on the blackboard, I knew what it was. Grr... bloomin' genetics!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by chaos8569 Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 am

I didn't start until I was 21 but my daughter has had them since she was around 12

chaos8569

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:13 am

I thought it was about 25 but looking back over a lifetime of strange problems with no answers I would say much younger. About 12 i guess.

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

When did you start to have migraines? Empty MY first migraine

Post by Sheena Hulston Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:01 am

My first ever migraine was my HM one at the age of 48 even then there was no head pain as such, just the aura, the pain did not start until I had my third attack about 6 weeks after that in Nov 2008.
It wasn't until I was seen at UCLH that I understood I probably had stomach migraines as a child though I did not realise this.
So for me it was a major shock as I had never even suffered from headaches.
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:34 am

I was diagnosed as the age of 7 with sporadic hemiplegic migraine, although it took several months for my paediatric consultant neurologist to finally give me this diagnosis. My mum remembers the doctors being surrounded by text books trying to find my diagnosis. Obviously, everything else had to be ruled out first, a brain tumour, blocked carotid artery, although they said I was too young to have a stroke, however, opinions are very different now with regards to this.
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

I first started having regular migraines in 1963 at the age of thirteen although I had been having headaches intermittently for several years before then. I learned today that when I was quite young (around 5 or 6) I would infrequently become very quiet and withdrawn and refuse to go outside. I'm guessing these might have been migraine attacks.
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Pav Khaira Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Mine started when I was 15, it was a daily tension headache and full blown migraine once a week. I had no idea what it was, just thought it was a 'bad headache' and slept it off
Dr Pav Khaira
Dr Pav Khaira

http://www.redskydentalspa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 am

Mine began at about 38 in peri-menopause. My mother had them as far back as I can remember, then they ceased with menopause. But mine continue.
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Post by fron Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:32 am

I can say ditto to Laura, but my mother never had them at all. Nor any grandparents. I am the first.....hopefully the last.

fron

Back to top Go down

Post by Looper Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 am

I would say before age 10 for sure but can't remember exactly. I do remember getting sick and telling my mom I had the "shakes"... head hurt, weak feeling, and mild nausea...I called it the "shakes" cause I felt "shaky" not understanding what was going on as a young kid. Now in looking back I think what I was calling the "shakes" was my first migraines. Definitely I remember having my aura and full blown headache with post nausea by 7th grade so that was ~12-13 years old?

Looper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down