Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products Empty Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

Post by Sarah Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 pm

As you know, I suffer from some level of hormonal imbalance (evidenced by endometriosis and fibroids). I also feel that this is a huge trigger for my migraines.

I have recently started to read a lot about endocrine disruptors in our cosmetics, cleaning products etc (xenoestrogens - basically, they aren't hormones, but act like oestrogen when inside the body, in a test tube etc).

edit: apologies, I forgot to say why this is important! Wink Apparently, one of the reasons why absorbing these dodgy chemicals via the skin is worse than ingesting them orally is because they are not taken care of by the liver that way - they go straight into the bloodstream.

So, I have resolved to go as natural as possible. This is really difficult, even for someone like me with sensitive skin, who had already reduced their chemical load down quite a lot. I am still learning which chemicals do what, which are probably harmless etc, but I am in the process of replacing all my cleaning products (including laundry) with more natural ones, dodgy detergents with simple soaps, and my make up with better natural options. Make up is proving to be the most difficult, unsurprisingly, but there are some good alternatives around. The biggest problem there is that many of them are really only available mail order, which makes choosing colours difficult!

Anyway, just thought this might interest someone. I'll obviously let you know how I get on! One thing I've noticed already (from very minimal changes at that time) is that my period was slightly lighter. This could be a coincedence, and my head was certainly no better, but I live in hope as always! Smile

edit again: one more thing I am doing, which is only slightly off-topic, is that I'm trying to eat as organic as I can afford to - apparently some pesticides are also known xenoestrogens.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products Empty Re: Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

Post by Sarah Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:37 pm

I probably haven't put this thread in the right section - sorry!

Anyway, just thought I'd add a couple of links, although there are many many sources of information available online.

This is a US site, but useful:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/top-tips-for-safer-products/#your_skin

http://www.wen.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/cosmetics_norefs1.pdf

Xenoestrogens generally:
http://www.suite101.com/content/list-of-xenoestrogens---chemical-estrogens-a205523

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products Empty Re: Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

Post by Tee Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Sarah wrote:I have recently started to read a lot about endocrine disruptors in our cosmetics, cleaning products etc (xenoestrogens - basically, they aren't hormones, but act like oestrogen when inside the body, in a test tube etc).

Sarah - I find this very interesting - I read a book today about a possible natural way to deal with migs and that is based on hormones http://www.migraine-headac​hes-information.com/c2WUcc​/The_Natural_Cure_To_Your_​Migraines.pdf

I am off to see a Kinselogist on Thursady to try and track down what chemicals / food I am actually allergic too - I know some of them by trial and error - but i keep swelling up like a blow fish and am now having to take antihestimine on a daily basis Sad I have however already replaced all my cleaning products and we use old fashion bi carb and vinegar a lot. Hubby cleans the bathroom for me Smile But if i am around things like Flash, Mr muscle etc my tongue swells and chest goes tight - then i blow up. Not actually seen a pattern with the migs but I am sure it does not help.

Have a read of the book and et me know what you think?
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:13 am

I couldn't get the link to work. I assume it's so they can get everyone to pay for it?? Sad

Very interesting over the cleaning products. The worst thing about cleaning and laundry stuff is that they don't have to list the ingredients in the way that cosmetics and toiletries now need to be. It means you're constantly groping around in the dark.

I've got a few brands on the go now, which seem very natural. They are Alma Win, Bio-D and Earth Friendly Products. I also use vinegar, sodium bicarb, grapefruit seed extract (Citricidal - a natural disinfectant), and oxygen bleach powder.

There is a link between histamine and migraines, I seem to recall. I bet it doesn't help you, as you say.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 am

Yep there is defo a link - the best med I found was fluarazine and that was created as an antihistamine! Since I have been off that i have more breathing and swelling issues.

I am not sure if I am allowed to do this - but i have added the book as a PDF Wink
Attachments
Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products Attachment
The_Natural_Cure_To_Your_Migraines.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(402 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:49 am

Thanks so much for that. Smile Very interesting.

I'm going to give iodine another go (in the form of kelp). The reason I stopped before was because of my stomach, I think.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 am

lol great minds...... - I and going to add it to my list too Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 am

Best of luck! Smile I found a few Seagreens seaweed capsules in the cupboard (high in iodine, plus they also have other minerals in), so have started on those again. Fingers crossed...

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:12 am

I did all this type of stuff but for different reasons (the children's breathing problems).

I use washing balls now (they actually work out cheaper than anything else if you are prepared to layout the upfront price)..they work in the main really well and the boys eczema is greatly improved. Same with cleaning products..I don't have asthma and most of the 'standard' cleaners make me wheeze terribly..hateful things.

Am now changing to soap instead of shower gel..mainly because they strip your natural oils, same with shampoo so will be interested if it helps my migs too.

Interestingly I had a horrible week last weeks and got a period this week (don't get many so I was rather surprised). Maybe there's a hormonal element after all to mine too?
Jane
xxx
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 am

There could be Jane. Mine are not pure 'period' migs , but i am worse at that time of the month.

We use aqueous cream instead of soap Smile And I only use natural shampoo - may need to re think the washing powder though.

Will be interesting to see what ths women says on Thursday - I am dreading she says its cats as I have just said yes to 2 little kittens for the kids scratch
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Interesting about the washing balls, as whenever I've tried them I find they dissolve really quickly in the modern long washes. I've heard you're supposed to stop the washing machine and remove them before the rinse (which you then don't really need to do), but that's obviously difficult. What is your experience, Jane?

Sounds like there might be some sort of hormonal pattern, Jane. With mine, my worst days are often days 3 and 6, but any day between 1 and 7 can be horrendous.

Tee, obviously it's working for you well, but I personally don't like aqueous cream. Isn't it petroleum derived?

Best of luck on Thursday. I'll be really interested to hear what she says.

In the interests of sorting out the chemicals in my make up, I've just slapped on one of my new mineral foundation samples - looks quite nice and went on OK, but probably not the right shade (I look a bit jaundiced!! Embarassed Very Happy)

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:11 am

The wash balls I have are plastic with holes in..in the middle are loads of little pebbles. Round the outside...hang on getting will look a link up..

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=eco+wash+balls&cp=14&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=611&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14899323478435576371&sa=X&ei=UAkeTum0BI-IhQeT7ZyyBw&sqi=2&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

They do work but you may have to pre treat tough stains. I have used them for 5 years and refilled them twice...so economical...and look like little planets lol.

J
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 am

wow what a day!

I spent 2 hours with the Kinselogist lady today and it was quite an eye opener - we spent a little time going over past history etc and then re tested my organs and then some key foods.

What impressed me the most is that I did not tell her about my heart beat problem or my bowel problem and she picked up on them both straight away. The heart being of some concern! hmmm

She said I have chemical sensitivity - tick and a wheat problem - tick

Things I did not know about include cows milk, cheese, soya, rice and corn. Wheat was a big no no and the others she things we may be able to manage by introducing an enzyme. My purfume and deodorant where also no nos. All the vitamin and minerals I am talking at the moment where no no's as they were all synthetic - BUT when she tested for lack of minerals and interestingly the one that stood out above them all was Magnesium! Also Zinc - we are going to test for Iodine tomorrow. Thankfully I am OK with Imgrad and codine Smile

She has put me on a massive dose of Magnesium chloride, Zinc and Bromelain which is a pineapple enzymn. All from Higher Nature. We did not get to the end of the list of stuff, so I am going back tomorrow to test the rest of the list...... information overload lol
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:39 am

Wow, how interesting. I kept wondering how you were getting on. Higher Nature is a good brand. Smile

Am not surprised about cows' milk, soya, wheat and corn, but am surprised to hear about the rice.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Just come back from day 2 and I am finding this very interesting. Iodine came up! So going to take one drop of Lugols Iodine per day.

The kids will be pleased to know i am ok with cats Smile

Sarah - where did you get the chemical free make up from - that came up today too?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:21 am

Ooh, fascinating!! Smile I've got to say, I've had a great day today - head was quite good and I've got a lot more done (a bit more energy than my usual slug impression), so I've got all fingers crossed for the seaweed capsules too.

I've been ordering from loads of different places for the natural make up. I managed to find a shop fairly near me that sold some, which helped a lot, as it's so hard to choose lipsticks etc without seeing the colours properly.

Good brands are:

Lily Lolo - mineral foundations. They are available as samples from here: http://www.lilylolo.co.uk/
Inika - available from a fair few websites
Green People - same
Dr Hauschka - fairly expensive, but widely available online.

I'm sure there are others too, but the brain has died (why am I up so late anyway?!)

Great news on the cats!! Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:20 am

LOL woo hooo for seaweed Smile Do not over do it though sweetie.

Thanks for the info - I will have a look at them now.

Also, need to find a good kitchen / bathroom cleaner.............
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 am

Thought you might be interested in this - was given to me by the Kinselogist......

Beauty queen-turned-activist Susan Jeske wants you to know the ugly truth about what your beauty routine is doing to your health.

Breast cancer, heart disease, heart disease, birth defects, memory loss, depressionthese are just a few of the conditions that have been linked to The Toxic 12, a list of the worst toxic and carcinogenic ingredients commonly found in skin care products and cosmetics.

The former Ms. America worked more than 20 years in the beauty, cosmetic and personal care products industry, but several years ago severe health issues led her to a holistic doctor who urged her to stop using the synthetic and toxic chemicals on her skin that were making her sick.

After her health issues went away after just two weeks of using natural and organic products instead, she started studying everything about cosmetics and skin care. What she found disturbed her and she is on a mission to educate the public about the dangers.

Here is her list:

Benzoyl Peroxide: Frequently used in acne products, the MSDS states: Facilitates action of known carcinogens. Possible tumor promoter. May act as mutagen; produces DNA damage in human and other mammalian cells in some concentrations. Also, toxic by inhalation. May be harmful if swallowed and in contact with skin. Eye, skin and respiratory irritant.

DEA (Diethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), & TEA (Triethanolamine): This foam booster is a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis. Easily absorbed through skin to accumulate in body organs, even the brain. Repeated use resulted in major increases of liver and kidney cancer.

Dioxin: Won't appear on an ingredient list. Often contained in antibacterial ingredients like triclosan, emulsifiers, PEGs and ethoxylated cleansers like Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Dioxin causes cancer, reduced immunity, nervous system disorders, miscarriages and birth deformity. It's a hormone-disrupting chemical with toxic effects measured in the parts per trillion - one drop in 300 Olympic-size swimming pools! Our bodies have no defense against its damage. Most visible example was Yushchenko, the Ukrainian President, who suffered from dioxin poisoning and looked old overnight.

DMDM Hydantoin & Urea (Imidazolidinyl):
Just two of many preservatives that often release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, cancer, skin reactions, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep. Exposure may irritate the respiratory system, trigger heart palpitations or asthma, aggravate coughs and colds.

FD&C Color & Pigments: Synthetic colors from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in skin, causing skin sensitivity / irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen and death. Animal studies show almost all are carcinogenic.

Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl): Used as preservatives and aren't always labelled parabens. They?re used in deodorants and antiperspirants and have been found in breast cancer tumors. Parabens, as xenoestrogens (hormone disruptors), may contribute to sterility in male mice and humans. Estrogen-like activity causes hormone imbalance in females and early puberty.

PEG (Polyethylene glycol): Made by ethoxylating Propylene Glycol. Dangerous levels of dioxin have been found as a by-product of the ethoxylation process. PEGs are in everything including personal care, baby care and sunscreens.

Phthalates: Xenoestrogens are commonly found in many products, usually not listed on labels. Health effects include damage to liver/kidneys, birth defects, decreased sperm counts and early breast development in girls and boys.

Propylene Glycol (PG) and Butylene Glycol: Petroleum plastics act as surfactants (wetting agents, solvents). EPA considers PG so toxic it requires protective gloves, clothing, goggles and disposal by burying. Because PG penetrates skin so quickly, EPA warns against skin contact to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. There is NO warning label on products where concentration is greater than in most industrial applications.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES): Detergents and surfactants that pose serious health threats. Used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and 90 percent of personal-care products that foam. Animals exposed to SLS experienced eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, severe skin irritation even death. SLS may also damage skin?s immune system by causing layers to separate, inflame and age.

Sunscreen chemicals: Avobenzone, benzphenone, ethoxycinnamate, PABA are commonly used ingredients that are known free radical generators and are believed to damage DNA or lead to cancers.

Triclosan: Synthetic antibacterial ingredient with chemical structure similar to Agent Orange! EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and environment. Classified as a chlorophenol, chemicals suspected of causing cancer in humans. Tufts University School of Medicine says triclosan is capable of forcing emergence of ?super bugs? it cannot kill.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:39 am

Ooh thanks for that! Smile It's all really scary, isn't it?

Here are some good websites for cleaning products:

http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/
http://www.naturalcollection.com/
http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for the links - I have ordered a load of samples and will have a play next week - my mum also came up with the idea of a steam cleaner Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 am

Yes, I've got one of those, but a huge one that I hardly ever bother to get out. I'm tempted to get one of those little easy to use ones. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am

Mum said she read a review yesterday and the little black and decker one came out top Laughing
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 am

Ooh interesting - will have to have a look, thanks! Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 am

Hmm... one thing I do find, which I've found before, with more natural laundry products is that clothes get that horrible musty smell unless washed at a very high temperature. I really don't know how to get rid of it. Sad

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:16 am

I am doing ok on the Fairy non bo - as Allergy UK recommend - but way order those eco balls - do that give that musty smell too?

I tried that lipstick today from the sample pack and my lips started to sting - wiped it off within an hour Sad

But I did the Lily Loo foundation without the cream first and its loads better Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next