Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Types of aura

+11
pandora77
pīwakawaka
kayemayers
Broadhoj
Chris
Antonina Koutoupa
Sheena Hulston
onandoffagain
whitzendJane
Katie
Tee
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Types of aura Empty Types of aura

Post by Tee Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:31 am

The aura is the complex of neurological or neuropsychological symptoms. It is the second stage of a migraine attack. However, not all migraine sufferers experience aura.

Aura can be broken down into 4 groups:

1 Sensory disturbances
2 Motor disturbances
3 Verbal disturbances
4 Visual disturbances

1 Sensory

Somatosensory symptoms
Numbness, prickling sensations, things crawling on you - these are often just one sided.

Body image disturbances
Macro and microsomatognosia (feeling larger or smaller, known as Alice in Wonderland Syndrome), facial metamorphosis, out-of-body experiences and felt presences.

Near-death experiences
A near-death experience (NDE) refers to a broad range of personal experiences associated with impending death, encompassing multiple possible sensations including detachment from the body; feelings of levitation; extreme fear; total serenity, security, or warmth; the experience of absolute dissolution; and the presence of a light.

Depersonalisation
This is a malfunction or anomaly of the individuals self-awareness. It is a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation. Sufferers feel they have changed, and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can be a disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream".

Derealisation
This is where you feel separated from the outside world, such as a sensory fog, a pane of glass, or a veil. Individuals may complain that what they see lacks vividness and emotional coloring. Emotional response to visual recognition of loved ones may be significantly reduced. Feelings of déjà vu or jamais vu are common. Familiar places may look alien, bizarre, and surreal.

Auditory symptoms
Problems with hearing - This can include tinnitus (buzzing sounds, ringing in ears) mild hearing loss, difficulty understand speech

Gustatory symptoms
This is illusions or hallucinations of taste.

Olfactory symptoms
Hallucinations of odours and smells not actually present.

Paramnesias
Déjà vu - the experience of feeling sure that you have already witnessed or experienced a current situation.

Jamais vu - a sense of eeriness, you get the impression of seeing the situation for the first time, despite rationally knowing that he or she has been in the situation before.

Forced reminiscence
Uprush of long-forgotten memories or dreams - dream-like state

Dreaming disturbance
Unusual powerful, vivid or weird dreams, nightmares, recurring dreams and other migraine aura symptoms experienced whilst dreaming.

Synaesthesia
from the ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation," is a neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. Over 60 types of synesthesia have been reported. One common form is known as grapheme - colour synesthesia - letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colour. In another form numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities. Or visual motion → sound synesthesia, involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker.

Time perception disturbances
"time flys abnormally fast" -- opposite of marijuana's affect on sense of time.

2 Motor
- Paralysis

- Weakness

- Numbness

- Painless sensation [tactile hallucination] of coldness

- Tactile hallucinations of movement

- Impaired coordination

- Involuntary movements

3 Verbal disturbances

Dysphasic aura
Speech and/or language symptoms:

- Stuttering

- Involuntary vocalisations

- Paralysis of speech muscles

- Global aphasia - Language disorder involving severe impairments in both comprehension and production.

- Anomic aphasia - 'loss of a word' often the sufferer knowns the word and may even be able to see it - but can not actually say it.

- Reading disturbances

- Writing disturbances

4 Visual disturbances

Visual aura is the most common of auras. A visual aura is like an electrical or chemical wave that moves across the visual cortex of your brain. It is possible to see this via a MRI. As the activation spreads during an aura, a person loses normal visual function.

The best known visual aura is called a fortification spectrum because its pattern resembles the walls of a medieval fort. It may start as a small hole of light or sometimes as bright geometrical lines and shapes in your visual field.This visual aura may expand into a sickle- or C-shaped object, with zigzag lines on the leading edge.

Visual illusions

Autokinesis
Illusion of apparent movement of stationary objects

Cinematographic vision
Visual illusion whereby the normal perception of moving objects is replaced by seeing a series of "stills" as in a film run too slowly

Corona phenomenon
Light or colour round an object.

Diplopia
Commonly known as double vision, it is the perception of two images of a single object beginning seen at the same time.

Dysmetropsia
Visual illusions involving an alteration in the size or separation of visual objects.

- Macropsia - objects are perceived larger than normal, causing you to feel smaller.
- Micropsia - objects are perceived to be smaller than they actually are, causing you to feel larger.
- Pelopsia - objects appear nearer than they actually are.
- Teleopsia - objects appear much further away than they actually are.

Illusory visual splitting, tilted vision, inverted vision
Illusions whereby the entire visual environment or objects are rotated by less than 90°, by 90° or by 180°, respectively, so that the visual targets appear tilted, turned to a right angle or turned upside down.

Metamorphopsia
Where objects appear to be distorted

Mosaic illusion
Fracture of the visual image into pieces dovetailed together as in a mosaic

Polyopia /Palinopsia
Vision of multiple images. (Greek: palin for "again" and opsia for "seeing") is a visual disturbance that causes images to persist to some extent even after their corresponding stimulus has left. These images are known as afterimages and occur in persons with normal vision.

Visual loss
Also known as scotoma, this can range from partial lost to complete loss.

Visual hallucinations
- Random form dimension
- Line form dimension
- Curve form dimension
- Web form dimension
- Lattice form dimension
- Tunnel form dimension
- Spiral form dimension
- Kaleidoscope form dimension
- Floaters
- Soft focus
- Snow

Last edited by Tee on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 am; edited 4 times in total
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Types of aura Empty Re: Types of aura

Post by Tee Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:29 am

Phew - that took some research - I am not sure I have them all either - so please feel free to add to the list.

On a personal note I have a lot of aura:

Somatosensory symptoms - numbness and weakness
Body image disturbances - Alice in Wonderland Syndrome
Felt presences
Depersonalisation
Derealisation
Auditory symptoms - wind in ears and ringing
Dreaming disturbance
Hallucination of coldness
Dysphasic aura - speech and/or language symptoms
Anomic aphasia - 'loss of a word'
Reading disturbances
Writing disturbances
Autokinesis - movement of stationary objects
Corona phenomenon - light round an object.
Visual - zig zags, floater, soft focus, snow
Mosaic illusion
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:43 am

You may find the Migraine Aura Foundation website informative.

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/index_en.html
Katie
Katie

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 am

I did thank you Katie...
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:24 am

palinopsia! it has a name! after images it turns out are not normal . I jost thought everyone saw them!

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 am

yeah I just kinda accepted them as normal I can't even rememeber when that started...must have been gradual ..now I need to try and pronounce it!
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 am

Its amazing the stuff we put up with and do not realise is aura - it took my 22 yrs to find the name of depersonalisation lol

The web site is a useful resource and I did look at a few times today for help - the only sad thing is that the data and posts are quite old.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 am

I get too many of these to remember or list main one is loss of sight in right side of right eye all the time
Depersonalisation
Reading disturbances
Visual snow/sparkles
Autokinesis( glad there's a name for that one)
Deja vu
And the list goes but it takes some reading!
cheers Tee x
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm

How people see visual aura:

This is what I see most days
https://youtu.be/KYLXaR9frHg
https://youtu.be/f34R3GC5I5k (Persistent aura - snow +)

Classic C shape aura
https://youtu.be/sch2jX6J8B4
https://youtu.be/ZrrviW0Od-w
https://youtu.be/q1sXbdaIB-g

Other visual aura
https://youtu.be/_xPHr4qSeLU

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:06 am

Yeah the to 2 for me most days..but my squiggles are not as colourful as those wormy ones.
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonina Koutoupa Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:05 am

Thanks Tee,Yes! me too,different types of Aura,nice to know l,m not alonexx

Antonina Koutoupa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:37 am

On looking fir the first time into triggers, I can only come up with going out into the open air/ big wide world so to speak. Going shopping has known to spark a migraine on a regular basis with me.
Also on the computer too much maybe? the screen suddenly can seem to bright. This may be another trigger.
Both associated with the light maybe.

I do get

Anomic aphasia - 'loss of a word' often the sufferer knowns the word and may even be able to see it - but can not actually say it.
Stuttering (a little)
- Reading disturbances (general lack of concentration)

But am not sure if it is on the run up to a migraine and of course it may be just being over tired or age creeping in even!

My headaches are always on half of my head, mainly the front forehead area and slightly up to the top a little sometimes.
It is a hugely tense heavy headed feeling, very tense on the head.
I just want to shut myself away in bed out of the way with curtains shut etc so it could be the light with me...

The constant theme here is that am I a vampire!? or Bat?
Shocked Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 am

vampire or bat..... my workmates think i should go back to my coffin when they see me out in the daylight. doesnt explain why some of my attacks happen at night though but i have an email somewhere that suggests its more flicker that sets migraine in motion.email suggests get some good sunglasses something our supermarket sufferers ,myself inc re facebook comments on the subject need to do.

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:37 am

Does any one else have dystonia as an aura?

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 am

Sorry no- not on my long list lol - Is it something you have?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Broadhoj Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:36 am

Onandoffagain - yes! I do. Sudden noises cause prolonged spasms in very specific muscles in my shoulder, torso and leg. I originally thought it was as a result of using metoclopramide as an anti-emetic but I haven't used it for a year and still get the muscle spasms.
Jackie

Broadhoj

Back to top Go down

Post by kayemayers Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:34 am

My 12 year old daughter has suffered with migraine since she was six and used to describe the beginnings of one as a 'blurry eye'. The aura always tells her one is on the way.

kayemayers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:03 am

My first migraines started at 12 and would start with numbness in my right hand........... I had 20mins to get to a dark room from then....

You might find this of use: https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t100-potential-migraine-phases-and-symptoms
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am

My head is often rotated 10 to 20 degrees to the right just before and during a migraine attack. Does that qualify as Dystonia?

Neck movement gets quite restricted during an attack, but at times takes up a "natural" position where my head is pointing of to the right sufficiently enough for other people to notice, but not enough for me to be aware of.
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pandora77 Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 am

I get many of these type of aura but not all the time and not always when I have a migraine. I often wonder if it is more likely that my migraine and perhaps that of many others is perhaps a more complex neurological disorder affecting the central nervous system of which migraine is only a part?

pandora77

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

I too have thought that - as I too get a lot of aura and often get very bad aura and no significant headache - I spoke to my doc about this and he said it was still migraine - 'Aceplegic Migraine' ........ But I do still wonder if they will find more depths in migraine in years to come...
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 am

ah Tee, the more I read you the more I read me ( if you know what i mean) I have such a constant set of Aura symptoms i'm always sure there must be another neurological disorder. Especially when you read the clinical distinctions of migraine types, i can't be classified as any as I don't meet the criteria, its no wonder they keep changing their minds. Do you ever have altered consciousness during an attack? iv'e had a couple recently where i have literally been unable to move or speak all of a sudden, my mum described it as if i had been suddenly been given a massive dose of sedative. i have never had an eeg, evoked potentials or lumbar puncture tests. only an MRI back in 2008. What tests have you had?

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 am

Its nice to know someone else understands me Very Happy xxx

But yes I have had that - only for a few seconds - but I just stop - like someone has pulled the switch..... I get depersonalisation a lot., along with the visual and numbness stuff....

In my time I have a number of MRIs, CAT, ECG, PFO camera down, another heart one I forget the name off, some genetic tests and loads and load of blood tests........ I refused the lumber punch :O

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekoha Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:13 am

Wow - reading this was enlightening! I guess I do have aura, after all! I just thought a lot of these "auras" were normal things that happened to everyone. I thought the only aura was serious visual disturbance, like sudden tunnel vision or weird spots on your vision. It would be nice if doctors explained that there are more than one type of vision. And what really bothers me is that when I told my doctor about my olfactory hallucinations (I smell ammonia when it isn't there), he didn't say anything!! He just "ummm'd" and moved on to something else. Evil or Very Mad

Nekoha

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 am

Hi Nekoha, the ammonia smell is definitely one, I often get a strong smell of ammonia before an attack. The trouble is 90% of doctors really have no idea about migraines at all other than the very basics of head pain, nausea and zigzag lines / flashing lights. Most Migraineurs really do have to become expert patients. But... then the trouble is we can tend to look like we are hypochondriacs or have read it all out of a text book. When i visit my neurologist now i write down under headings all of my symptoms. its a bit anal, but i'm fed up of them mis-hearing, mis -quoting and misunderstanding what i say. And accidentally deliberately ignoring a piece of information i give them (such as your smelling ammonia) xx

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next