Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello All - My Introduction

4 posters

Go down

Hello All - My Introduction Empty Hello All - My Introduction

Post by FCT Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I was first diagnosed as having migraines when I was 18. Prior to 18, I was having the headaches, but just didn't know what it was, or why I was having them. I quickly learned that many in my family tree also have migraines. I didn't get very many at first, but when I did they were quite debilitating. As I got older the headaches became more frequent, and the medications less effective. I've tried various treatments throughout the years, chiropractic, acupuncture, bio-feedback, nerve blocks, massage, osteopathic, physiotherapy, hypnosis, changing my diet, and a variety of medicines - just to name a few. Nothing worked, or didn't work for long. Now to cope, I just use Maxalt, Tylenol, and if I can, lie down in the dark with a cold compress.
For me the worst of this chronic problem isn't having to deal with the pain (which is bad enough), but the impact it has on family. If the pain isn't too severe, I'll keep it to myself because I dread having to say, "I've got another headache." It really must be tiring to hear that. I've even lied and said I had a different problem, "really tired", "upset stomach", or whatever. I'm not sure why I do that, I guess I'm also tired of hearing myself say that I have another headache.
Anyway, I found this site, and sometimes just sharing with others that understand what you're going through is therapeutic in of itself. So, my thanks to Tee, and to the members here for lending your ears (so to speak).

...FCT
FCT
FCT

Back to top Go down

Hello All - My Introduction Empty Re: Hello All - My Introduction

Post by Laura Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I also get tired of the hearing myself say "I'm having a migraine attack" or "I have a headache." I've lied to co-workers, friends and family. But I have a tell. When I'm getting a migraine I get a pain either above or below my eye and unconsciously put press on the spot with my finger. People who know me know what that means. I hate that I give myself "away" when I don't want to.

However, this forum is a great place because we don't have to worry that others are tired of hearing those words.
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi FCT and welcome Smile

Sorry you have had them for so long and that they are getting worse Sad

I understand what you are saying re the impact on the family, but like Laura, those close to me just have to look at my face and eyes and can see I am in pain.

Getting over the guilt is a big thing but you do have to be selfish at times, the stress of worrying about others can make things worse. I have to say I am lucky enough to have an amazing husband who has had the odd migraine in his years, so knows what it feels like - ok we have had a few stressy weeks a few years back, but one day he just looked at me and said 'I know you do not go to bed for fun, I know your in pain' I have no idea what it was which gave him this epiphany. One thing that did help was taking him to all my hospital appointments, not only could he ask questions and remember the answers lol He could see that this is a life long thing and there is no quick fix.

But saying all that, it is so nice to talk to others who totally understand what it feels like, guilt and all - we have all been there - so if you ever just want to shout and vent - fire away - we will all be here with a big hug x

Do you know what type of migraine you have? and has any of the treatments / medication helped even just a little bit?

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 am

Just wanted to say 'Hi' and glad you found the forum. Yes I relate to what you're saying..it's tedious being ill isn't it.

Good to talk to people who understand on here and I find I speak less about it to my family now I have another outlet on the forum.
Tee started it all up because she knew there were lots of people suffering in silence feeling alone.

So welcome and thanks for introducing yourself...keep posting.
Jane
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello All - My Introduction Empty Type of Migraine

Post by FCT Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm

This is amazing, I guess I didn't expect replies so soon.

Tee, you asked what type of migraine I have. I would have said, "Common", but it has become "Chronic" over the past few years. Some medications have helped from the tripitan family. I still use Maxalt. If I take it on time, it often helps. You'd think after having migraines for so many years that I'd know when to take the Maxalt, but alas I still misjudge my headaches (hoping that this one is just a headache and not a migraine).

Many of my attacks come at times I can relax rather than during stress (I use the term stress just to relate to any activity (sports, gardening, at work, etc), but not necessarily negatively stressful. Sometimes makes me think that I should never rest Wink

Come to think of it, I'm often awakened from a sound sleep with a severe migraine. So there you have it, no rest and I'm cured Wink
FCT
FCT

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:13 pm

LOL well that's it then all you have to do is 'do nothing all day or never stop' Smile

But I totally relate to what you have said. 'Let down' migraines and 'sleep' migraines are quite common with chronic people. But saying that a lot of non chronic people get migs at the weekend after a weeks work. All has to be related to the chemicals in the brain. Tumbleweed

I know what you mean about mis judging a triptan, it can be hard, when chronic, as one mig can roll into another and as you say there is always the hope that this time it will just be a headache Smile And also I am limited to how many I can have in a week, so you always hold out on them.....

BTW All migraine types can go chronic. That is 15+ days per month. So you would classed as chronic common migraine (ie without aura) - you might find this interesting https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t185-types-of-migraine

Have you tried any of the supplements - ie magnesium, I and a few others have had a good result with that - not 100% but it all goes to help?

Tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down