Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disablity living allowence.

+7
pīwakawaka
pandora77
Nadeem
ridsy1969
fron
Tee
Katie
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Disablity living allowence. - Page 2 Empty Re: Disablity living allowence.

Post by onandoffagain Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:50 am

Hi guys, not been on here for ages, but in a really bad way now, i'll talk more in a different thread, but I have been off sick for a month now and will be for at least another month. I am about to start a claim for DLA which I'm dreading. I know how stressful the process is as my son gets middle rate for Aspergers and the whole process for him made me feel like a fraud and scrounger. But I need to do it. I have read the DWP guidance for migraine and it quite clearly states that Migraine should not ordinarily cause any disability so I know it will be a fight. Any suggestions as to the best guidance to read or ways to answer the questions? xx

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by sarlyka Sat May 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi,
I currently get lower rate care because I can't prepare and cook a meal: weakness in hand and arm, poor balance etc.
My GP has advised me to ask for a review of my DLA as he feels I need more support. When I have a severe attack, I am more or less bedridden for the duration (3 or 4 days) and need 24 hour care. It's very difficult to explain this on the forms as the word 'migraine' just doesn't describe the difficulties I have. A friend who has seen me at my worst thinks there should be a new name for this condition. 'Chronic migraine' describes the frequency of the attacks but doesn't give any indication of the severity of each one.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a way to explain their condition adequately for DLA/ESA.

sarlyka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Sun May 20, 2012 12:24 am

Hi, I'm actually sat here with my DLA form and paperwork trying to complete it, which is certainly easier said than done with a mega head. It is so difficult trying to explain our conditions. What I try and do is break it down into actual symptoms rather than just write chronic migraine or chronic hemiplegic migraine in my case all the time. It does make it rather long winded but if it helps put your case over then it will be well worth it. For example, pain, dizziness, vertigo, coordination problems, etc and explain how this affects each activity. I hope this helps.

Michala
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 am

hi all, just to say that today I was awarded higher rate mobility and middle rate care DLA and am so happy i am crying. I can now get a blue badge and stop worrying about money. I will be glad to offer advice to anyone about filling the forms in. xx

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:01 am

cheers Fab news - I do hope the less stress effects your migs too Smile x
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sarlyka Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:24 am

I asked to have my claim looked at again. I got the CAB to help fill in the forms and they thought I had a pretty good chance of getting more than just LRC. Yet, today I have received a letter to say they've 'looked' at my case and aren't going to award me any more. They list loads of stuff saying I don't need it, but the evidence I sent in says I do need it all. I sent in a diary, letters from neurologist, GP etc.
I feel really fed up. Now I will have to arrange to get to the CAB office to see if they will help me with an appeal.

sarlyka

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 am

It seems everyone is having to go to appeal and court - hang in there - I have heard from someone last wee - who has been fighting this for months and ended up in appeal and they won and the judge back dated it to last July......... its so cruel to make those who are in need to go through this......... Hug
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarlyka Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 am

I'm going to appeal. I saw my GP the same day I got the letter. They hadn't even contacted him. He has a copy of the form I sent in as he wanted to know what I'd written so he could be sure that the information he provided supported my application - and they didn't even bother to write to him! I wonder if they even read my form or if they just sent a standard rejection letter.
So, Monday's task (assuming I'm capable) is to write a letter to them.

sarlyka

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:37 am

Been advised to try and reapply for this benefit as the happy mix of chronic migraine and ECH is being a tad disabiling [said rather tongue in check] HOWEVER this time I am accessing Neurosupport for advice and advcacy support and making sure they have to contact by Neurology clinic. Last time they saw cluster headache and decided they did not need to talk to a neurolgist about 'just a headache'. Scream

Wish me luck because I think I may well need it given ATOS track record with hidden disabilities.
Katie
Katie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 am

GOOD LUCK... I actually do not know of anyone who got this first time round - it is so so so so wrong xx
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarlyka Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 am

I'm still waiting. They still haven't got in touch with my GP. They just keep sending me letters saying they haven't reached a decision yet.

sarlyka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2