Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew's Salts

+3
Sheena Hulston
Tee
ssps
7 posters

Go down

Andrew's Salts Empty Andrew's Salts

Post by ssps Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi all, i've suffered with migraines since about 1999. I'm not sure how they started but they have become a major stumbling block in my life. My triggers are the fairly standard ones, lack of sleep, dairy based products, yeast based products etc etc.

Generally my migraine will start on the right side of my head, behind my right eye, this is so painful, it then moves over to my left side, a little less painful but none the less painful all the same. The whole process can last about 7 days. I get a few weeks rest then it all starts again. During migraines i often feel dehydrated, find it difficult to pass solids, even though i drink plenty of fluid. When i do eventually pass solids (sorry to mention this btw, it's not something i enjoy talking about) I often find that my migraine subsides or switches to my left side, and i always feel a lot better as a result. I did wonder if it was my diet that was causing my migraines, but as i've tried so many different eating regimes i have to rule out that as a cause. Still, i did think that it might be something to do with my stomach.

I've tried herbal remedies, which had no affect on my migraines, i'm currently on 50mg of Sumatriptan by Imigran. Generally my GP prescribes about 3 months (12 tablets), which always runs out after 2 months. This medication has been 80% successful in combating my migraines, which i'm grateful for.

About 6 weeks ago i found an article in the Daily Mail Tuesday 12th April entitled 'A digested guide to perfect digestion'. In the article they discussed the use of laxatives as a way of controlling bouts of constipation (something i find happens when i've got a migraine). In the article Dr Peter Fairclough, a consultant gastroenterologist, suggested that a magnesium based laxative called Andrew's Salts, a gentler version of Epsom Salts could be taken on a daily basis to help ease constipation by drawing water into the bowel, this in effect would help solids pass more effectively. According to the same article, simply drinking water isn't enough, they explained that consumption of water is initially absorbed into the blood stream before it reaches the intestine, but that the large intestine dictates the consistancy of stools (i don't quite understand it all myself). Basically i get the impression that the job of the Andrew's Salts is to take some of that decision making away from the large intestine by drawing more water into the intestine, enabling more regular bowel movements.

OK, so how did this affect me. Well i started immediately taking it 6 weeks ago. It's actually quite nice tasting. I mix it with 500ml bottle of water, carry it around with me. About 2 bottles a day. Over this last 6 weeks i've run tests on my body, dietary and behavioural tests.

Behaviour wise, triggers such as lack of sleep, too much internet time have been major triggers for migraine. Coincidently i've also had a fair bit of stress during this 6 week period (work related mainly).

Diet wise, i've tested my major triggers such as eating chocolate, bread, crisps, cheese, pasta, and alcohol (although i don't really drink anyway)

Normally a combination of poor behaviour and poor diet such as i've described would result in the mother of all migraines. Over this past 6 weeks i've had 2 extremely mild, and i'm talking really mild, symptoms that a migraine was coming on, but that's it. I've not had one actual migraine.

According to what the article said, mild laxatives such as this are absolutely fine to take, but i'll still check in with my GP to confirm that.

Overall i've never felt this good.

Sorry for the long post x

ssps

Back to top Go down

Andrew's Salts Empty Re: Andrew's Salts

Post by Tee Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi there

And welcome to the forum. Smile

I am soooo pleased that you have found something to help - got to admit I have never heard of this, so it is very interesting, (thank you ) what's more interesting is that you mention that Andrew Salts are Magnesium based - lack of magnesium can be a migraine trigger.

There are a few of us who are currently trying the magnesium spray.

Personally I have IBS as well as chronic migraine, but I am going to add this to the this of things to try - I have just had Botox done and need to give that a chance.

How much do you mix with the water?

tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 am

Hi ya !
I use the magnesium spray as well but more for the tense muscles! As far as the loo problem goes regarding dehydration, I come from a farming family, and use the old trick of a half spoonful of salt in lemon water each day to keep you hydrated, as I suffer the same symptoms. It replaces lost salt and helps the body absorb water better and of course I drink lots of water and coffee each day as lack of fluid is a trigger for me.
There are lots of articles on dehydration causing migraines on the internet so drink lots of fluid as a general rule.
PS nice to hear from you .
Sheena x
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by ssps Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:25 am

Hi Tee,

I mix a tea spoonful, although i usually use the end of a tea spoon to heap it in, so it's not an exact science. There are some instructions on the container as well.

x Gail

ssps

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am

Oh Sheena - I have never heard of that either - learning lots today Very Happy

I will try that too - need to go get some lemons - I do not use salt as a general rule as I assumed there was enough salt in food - might be wrong there......
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 am

Hi Tee this may help there are hundreds of articles on it.

http://www.avoidamigraine.com/migrainesymptoms.html
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks for that - very interesting - I am useless at drinking water - i am just never thirsty - i do drink coffee throughout the day, but only when my husband makes it - thankfully he makes it a lot LOL

But I am going to make a concious effort to drink more and i will add the salts and lemons and see how it goes.

Thanks
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ssps Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 pm

This is the link from the original article that inspired me to use Andrew Salts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1375936/A-digested-guide-perfect-digestion-Experts-reveal-relieve-common-symptoms.html

Gail x

ssps

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 pm

That's really interesting - thanks - Hubby bought the salts this morning - I will start them tonight as the article says.

Smile

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 am

Interesting. Smile I used to take magnesium citrate, but most of it ended up erm... in the toilet, as it really does have quite a powerful effect in that sense!! The reason I now take magnesium malate is because I seem to absorb it better, so less ending up down the toilet.

I do think there is a lot to be said about good health starting in the bowels.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgoes? Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:32 am

I am not sure about the Mag. malate being absorbed more. Magnesium should be making you go, as it enhances the muscle contraction and relaxation rhythms in your body. It is what makes Phillips Milk of Magnesia work. And that is also why it is good for your heart and vascular system as well as muscles, because it makes them flexible and move as well. If the Mag. Citrate is making you go then that means you have absorbed it. It is not like excess B vitamins that get peed out. I use Chelated Magnesium because it works the fastest and best for me. I am told that Chelated Mag. is is more readily absorbed. And believe me it does not take much time before I go to the bathroom. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what my compounding pharmacist and doctors have told me.

whatgoes?

Back to top Go down

Post by usedtobejolly Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Its funny that products like Milk of Magnesia, Andrews Salts, and Epsom salts were all products that were around it my childhood. All were very heavily advertised, but now seem to have diminished in their popularity.
usedtobejolly
usedtobejolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 pm

whatgoes? wrote:I am not sure about the Mag. malate being absorbed more. Magnesium should be making you go, as it enhances the muscle contraction and relaxation rhythms in your body. It is what makes Phillips Milk of Magnesia work. And that is also why it is good for your heart and vascular system as well as muscles, because it makes them flexible and move as well. If the Mag. Citrate is making you go then that means you have absorbed it. It is not like excess B vitamins that get peed out. I use Chelated Magnesium because it works the fastest and best for me. I am told that Chelated Mag. is is more readily absorbed. And believe me it does not take much time before I go to the bathroom. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what my compounding pharmacist and doctors have told me.

Many thanks for this interesting reply.

I'm really not sure, to be honest! Neutral (looking for a confused emoticon and failing to find one!) I read that if it causes diarrhoea it isn't being absorbed, but I'm not sure of the exactly relationship. All I know is that I find it hard to absorb magnesium (had a course of injections quite a few years ago). What brand of chelated magnesium do you take?

I've just bought a couple of bags of magnesium chloride flakes for foot baths, but I keep forgetting to use them. Rolling Eyes

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by fron Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

I drink loads of water, so I am pretty sure that is take care of.
Never heard of a magnesium spray though, is there more info please?
I cant take it in tablets etc at all.

fron

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 am

There is a hole thread on magnesium here

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t77p15-magnesium-treatment

I got mine from Holland and Barrett and it did have some effects - although I am getting better results with the tablet form
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgoes? Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm

I have been purchasing a lot of my supplements at a compounding pharmacy that also sells high end supplements, many of which have their Pharmacy name (South River Pharmacy) on them. These have worked extremely well for me, I tired many other brands and typed of Magnesium and never saw any benefits until this one. There again, I know that each of us have our own chemistry and what works for one is not what works for the other. I began taking Magnesium supplements because my doctor told me I was deficient. My muscle cramps left and my blood levels showed a positive change. I will have to go and read the thread Tee posted. Good luck with things.

whatgoes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum