Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AAARGH.. hormones

+2
whitzendJane
Sarah
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

AAARGH.. hormones - Page 2 Empty Re: AAARGH.. hormones

Post by Sarah Sat May 26, 2012 9:28 am

Interesting... although they are still only concentrating on days 1 and 2, and anything outside of that seems to not be classed as a menstrual migraine. Plus by the time I'm at days 6-8, they aren't even remotely menstrual, even if they are hormonal. It's so frustrating.

No, mine are definitely not all hormonal - it plays a big part (in that I have one good week a month, which isn't pain free but is a lot better), but my jaw problems also play a big part in mine.

Today was a much better day - hooray. Smile

Very interesting about the zinc - what was the reasoning behind it?

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat May 26, 2012 10:36 am

Its such a hard trigger to crack this one Sad

Glad today was better...

She has been having blood tests for a while as her allergy levels are high - but they cannot work out with what - in the last test it showed her zinc levels were very low..........
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat May 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Good to hear that zinc is occasionally tested for! Hope it helps.

This is an interesting chart of hormone levels during the menstrual cycle:

http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/menstrualcycle/physiology.html

My good week is when progesterone is much higher than oestrogen. I'm at my worst when the oestrogen is rising and progesterone is flatlined.

I've tried natural progesterone before, and it made me worse. And years ago when I was given norethisterone for endometriosis, it made me really ill. So... that's why I can't really see any answer to this one! Sad

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Thinking about this some more... My theory is that my hormones probably aren't imbalanced as such, but that I am super-sensitive to the natural fluctuations. Rolling Eyes

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 am

Hmm interesting - thanks for sharing - going to have a look at my diary and see.

Have you ever had hormone tests - I wonder if they are worth it and f can be done since it changes so much in a month......?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 pm

I haven't ever pushed for hormone tests. Mainly because of the solutions they have to offer. I absolutely will not take prescribed hormones ever again, as they turn me mental! Shocked

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon May 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Forgot to say, one thing I've read, which does make sense, is that the way to deal with hormone fluctations etc is through cleansing the liver (and the gut, to some degree, eg with probiotics). This is to do with the way the body converts and processes hormones.

Trouble is, the best liver cleansers appear to be herbs (like dandelion root and milk thistle), which are phytoestrogens, which make my head bad! I'd bash my head against the wall if it didn't hurt so much!

I'll keep on going and see what I can find!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 am

oh now that is interesting - a few times over the years when I have routine blood tests I have had a 'blip' on my liver... with no reason why - even asked if I drank loads at one point! I wish lol

But also when I had my York test done I spoke to a dietitian and she recommend a pro biotic - its called Bio-Bifido - BacT.... I do have some which I forget to take (doh).... I shall leave it on the side and start again and see if that helps... although this month I am due to start the anti inflammatory...
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 pm

I wonder how you'd get on with something like milk thistle herb? It's supposed to be a fantastic liver cleanser. For me when I take phytoestrogens, I lose my 'good week', but I think I have become super sensitive to oestrogens.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 am

Ok - I will add it my list of too try later - I have a few things to add in this month already x
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I really shouldn't say this, (because I'm going to get knocked out by a monster of a migraine tomorrow when I do, I bet!), but I have had such a good period week by normal standards with my head! cheers

I had a really awful one the day before my period (so definitely a true 'menstrual migraine'), and every day since has been bearable, in the sense of being triptan-free.

The thing that helps most is most definitely the iron. But I wonder if the vitamin D is beginning to help too.

I tried stepping up the vitamin D, as I mentioned on here, but it made my migraines worse. I think it was giving me a bit of a 'detox' effect actually. So, I've been taking 2000 iu a day for the last couple of weeks, rather than the 4000 iu, with a view to possibly increasing it in the future. I haven't had any sun on my skin whatsoever, as the weather has been so appalling.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 am

wow cheers news............. how is the iron on the tummy?

But this links in with that reserach they found re iron............ I am not really sure if the meds helped this month as it was such a carppy month with so much going on - so I will try again next month and give it a fairer go
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 am

My stomach is OK with the form of iron I'm taking (I've forgotten the name of it, but I wrote it somewhere in this epic thread!), as it bypasses the stomach and is absorbed in the intestines. It's the best thing I've ever discovered on the web for sure! I was just Googling different forms of iron, or something, out of desperation. Smile

I'm a bit nervous taking it all the month round, as too much iron is more dangerous than not enough, but I figure that a woman having periods hopefully can't really overload.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2