Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magnesium treatment

+4
figgy
Kala
Tee
Sarah
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Magnesium treatment Empty Magnesium treatment

Post by Sarah Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 am

Years ago (probably about 7) I was diagnosed as having a fairly severe magnesium deficiency, with the thought that the deficiency might be the cause (or at least a huge trigger) of my migraines. I had a series of incredibly painful magnesium injections, and started taking an oral supplement, but... well, nothing really happened. I've continued to take magnesium, and research it, since, but have had no further blood tests to find out how well I am doing these days (mainly because this was all done privately before, it wasn't local, and it cost a fortune! Shocked )

Anyway, I've learned over the years that oral magnesium is incredibly difficult to absorb, and the lower your magnesium reserves at cell level, the harder it is. Magnesium can be absorbed via the skin, but it is quite a skin irritant to someone like me, with sensitive skin.

I have recently switched from magnesium citrate to magnesium malate (which is the one usually recommended for fibromyalgia) and... well, I have to say, it is early days, but I am seeing some improvements. My neck and back are less painful and more flexible, and I am sleeping much better. So... time will tell as to how this affects my migraines and TMJ disorder.

From what I've learned, magnesium is a very common deficiency. Particularly because our diets are generally very biased towards calcium and phosphorus. I do try to eat good sources of magnesium (eg leafy green veg), but I'm a very fussy eater. Nuts and seeds are another good source, but I hate them. Embarassed

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Magnesium treatment Empty Re: Magnesium treatment

Post by Tee Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:05 am

Hi

That's really interesting, I was told by my consultant I would have to take heaps of it, for it to make any difference!

Is the magnesium malate easy to get hold of and do you just rub into the tight spots?
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 pm

I've realised that my message yesterday was a bit garbled - sorry! Will try to make better sense today! Very Happy

The magnesium malate I'm taking is an oral supplement. I don't know how much of it I'm absorbing, but I'm convinced I'm absorbing more than the citrate, due to the benefits I've seen. I can't say how much though, and I can't tolerate any more than 3 tablets a day.

For transdermal magnesium, the options are:

1. Magnesium chloride oil: this you are supposed to ideally put all over, but you can just concentrate on muscular areas that need it. I've not found any part of my skin that will put up with this though - my skin is very sensitive and this stuff irritates! When I have used it, it does do something though - eg. when I've put some on my feet before bed I have slept like a log!

2. Magnesium sulfate cream (ie Epson salts): this isn't supposed to be as good as the magnesium oil, and is also drying to the skin, but not too bad. Possibly the cream base helps.

3. Epson salts and magnesium chloride flakes: these can be put in the bath or in foot baths. I wouldn't be able to use them in the bath, unfortunately, but I can tolerate a foot bath.

I'm really hoping that I can get some benefits from magnesium, as I'm convinced I am still low in it. Will keep you updated. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 am

Your allowed to garble - we are a migraine site - it comes with the territory Smile

I might have a go at the oil and see what happens - how long did you use it before you found and effect?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:25 am

I tend to notice improvements quite quickly with me - it was only a few days before I realised I was more flexible with my movements. I've not noticed anything with my head yet though. Fingers crossed...

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Kala Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 am

I hope you continue to see improvement Sarah, and good luck Tee if you decide to try this, please keep us posted.

I was given a Magnesium infusion whilst in QS but I had an allergic reaction to it!!

Michala
x
Kala
Kala

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Just seen this - never knew Magnesium can make you warmer - my feet are always cold lol

http://migraine.com/blog/sensation-of-heat-during-migraine-attack/
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 03, 2011 7:39 am

Ok ladies - I found some Magnesium Chloride spray in Holland and Barrett today.... first squirts going on tonight Smile

Hubby is also going to try it as it says its good for muscle relaxation too
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue May 03, 2011 9:31 am

My feet are always freezing - my circulation is horrendous.

Ooh, let me know how you get on with the spray. Hope you don't find it as irritating to the skin as I did!!!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Tue May 24, 2011 2:44 am

My circulation is terrible too, do you think thats a cause of our migraines??
With the magnesium spray how does that work? is it on the skin or like a nasal spray? Sorry if thats a thick question!!
I read that magnesium may help. Hopefully the hubby is bringing me home some- wow what a great prezzy hey, reckon wine or choccies would be better appreciated haha!!
Desperately want to know if it helps :0)

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 24, 2011 3:17 am

I am sure circulation has something to do with it - but lack of magnesium is a known trigger for migs. Sarah did some research see above - and found that you can get more magnesium into the body via a cream or spray. I use a spray which I just spray on my neck once a day - must say the migs are no better - yet - but the neck muscle is looser Smile

Hey any prezzie is a good prezzie Smile

Tee

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Tue May 24, 2011 4:50 am

Haha quite right!!
I find my migraines start either in my neck or in the top of my nose,maybe i should use the spray on my nose(obviously trying to avoid my eyes lol).
Is it easy to get hold of the spray?
I read somewhere that you can get it in powder form too. Its exciting at a new possibility which wont effect my mentalness :0)

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 am

lol I got mine from the health food store. I would avoid the nose though lol - it does not taste too nice lol
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Tue May 24, 2011 5:41 am

Ok hehe.
I've just been searching to check out which sprays i can find. There's a sport one,bedtime one- which one do you think? Given a choice and i'll be there for days!!!
Thanks for help :0)

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 am

Oh I am not sure - the bedtime one sounds good - where did you find that? - i just went into holland and barrett and they only had one - but its mixed with something like Eucalyptus, so its got a strong smell which I could do without.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Tue May 24, 2011 8:53 pm

I looked online and found a joint one,a sports one a bedtime one and an original one. That made it so confusing for hahaha.
I actually like that smell so i'd be okay lol.
I'm getting the hubby to bring me home a spray later. The magnesium tablets he brought back yesterday didnt have any calcium in them and they should,shouldnt they??
:0)

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Yes that will help - also see sarah's post re tablets and spray - she did some research and found that the magnesium goes into the body quicker via the skin - hence the sprays and creams.

I think there is 4 of us trying this now - will be interesting to see how we get on Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue May 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi figgy. Smile I'd stick to a magnesium oil with no extras in it at the moment. Especially since it can be irritating to the skin - I wouldn't want to add things like eucalyptus to the mix too.

With tablets you should usually start with just magnesium, and then only add calcium if you need it. What form of magnesium is in your tablets?

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Think they are from superdrug(?) they are in a yellow pot with 'woman' written on it.
The hubby got them for me. I thought it needed calcium with it??
My friends just given me some effervescent tablets with mag,calcium, b12 etc in . do you reckon theyd be better than it all separately and easier on my belly coz its dissolved??
How much magnesium is everyone taking??
How long have you been on it?
What were your migraines like before?

Sorry, i ask far tooooo many questions lol!!
xx

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 pm

You need to know the form of the magnesium. All minerals are bonded to something else to be absorbed by the body, and most are not absorbed very well. I suspect the Superdrug ones won't be too good (sorry!!), but I could be wrong. Magnesium oxide is the worst absorbed form.

Effervescent tablets can be absorbed slightly better, but the body does still need to make use of the magnesium. I was taking magnesium citrate for a long time, but I've switched to magnesium malate, and find that absorbs better. The reason I know it absorbs better is not because of my migraines (sadly!), but because I sleep much better. My magnesium citrate was effervescent, but I find that the magnesium malate solid tablets absorb better.

Feel free to ask questions - it's a complicated subject. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue May 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I am taking quite a mix of stuff to at the moment - I am preventative free at the moment (as I have Botox on Friday) - so started the vitimins to see if they had any effect - I have only been on them 2 weeks and i am not sure if thats long enough to see any real changes (wee has gone bright yellow lol hmmm maybe that's TMI ) Shocked

If I am honest I started these for 2 reasons, (1) I have really bad daily aura and research suggested i should try to improve my nerves. (2) I am soooo tired and need some energy. Sleep

I am taking 'B active' which contains B12, B1, B2, C, Niacin, B6, Folic acid, Zinc, Magnisuim, Biotin, Pantothenic. I am also on singles of Omega 3, Q10 , Cod Liver Oil and of course magnesium spray.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm

That'll be the vitamin B2 with the bright yellow wee! Very Happy

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed May 25, 2011 2:25 am

I should have added earlier about the calcium and magnesium confusion. Sorry - my usual typing in a hurry.

The reason you shouldn't have the two in a supplement together is, as I understand it, because calcium and magnesium compete against each other, with calcium the usual winner. If they are both taken at all, you'd take them separately during the day, but many people are deficient in magnesium, as opposed to the numbers of people deficient in calcium. Magnesium also helps with the absorption on calcium, but not by taking them together.

Sorry, that probably sounds even more confusing!!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by figgy Wed May 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Am well confused now lol, but too be honest anything can confuse me!!
Have got the spray now.
First sprays last night and noticed quite a lot of tingling.
Really hope it helps even if its just a bit :0)

figgy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Fingers crossed for you. Smile I'd definitely go with the spray if your skin can tolerate it. The tablets are really hard to absorb. I only wish my skin wasn't so sensitive!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next