Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being

4 posters

Go down

A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being Empty A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being

Post by Tee Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Is anyone taking these and do they help?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

ScienceDaily (July 5, 2011)

Probiotics, often referred to as 'good bacteria', are known to promote a healthy gut, but can they promote a healthy mind? Exploring the new world of neurological probiotics, researchers in BioEssays present new ideas on how neurochemicals delivered directly to the gut, via probiotic intestinal microbiota, exert their beneficial effects in maintaining gastrointestinal health and even psychological well-being.

The research, led by Professor Mark Lyte from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, proposes that through a unifying process of microbial endocrinology, neurochemical-producing probiotics could act as a delivery mechanism for neuroactive compounds that could improve a host's gastrointestinal and psychological health.

"This paper proposes a new field of microbial endocrinology, where microbiology meets neuroscience," said Lyte. "There is already evidence to suggest that the connection between gut microbes and the nervous system represents a viable route for influencing neurological function. A recent study in mice, for example, showed that the presence of neurochemicals such a serotonin in the bloodstream was due to direct uptake from the gut."

In his hypothesis Professor Lyte considers the selection of probiotics, such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, and how the active uptake of neurochemicals, generated by bacteria in the gut and circulated through a patient's bloodstream, represents a pathway for probiotics to exert extra-intestinal effects including behavioral changes.

Writing in a commentary piece in the same issue of BioEssays Dr Gregor Reid, from the University of Western Ontario, outlines some of the potential clinical implications of this research.

"Until recently the idea that probiotic bacteria administered to the intestine could influence the brain seemed almost surreal," said Reid, "Yet in Lyte's paper the concept is supported by studies showing that microbes can produce and respond to neurochemicals, which can induce neurological and immunological effects on the host."

"The research presents an idea for selecting probiotic strains with neurological applications and linking this with immune-modulatory effects, while highlighting the fact that microbial strains already being widely ingested in fermented food can produce neurochemicals," concluded Reid. "Could this mean that adjunct treatment for people suffering from certain types of mental health problems is a fecal transplant? Food for thought
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being Empty Re: A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being

Post by whitzendJane Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:49 pm

that's so weird..I made sure I had some everyday this week..via yoghurt..and I have felt better...hmmm.
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being Empty Re: A Gut-Full of Probiotics for Your Neurological Well-Being

Post by Tee Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:16 pm

oh wow - I bought some too - however my food fairies got them before I did!!! Going to get a mummy box for the fridge - we have one in the cupboard and it seems to be working......
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 pm

I used to take them but never really noticed anything for my head.. I have a problem with candida, and as soon as I take anything new like that I get hideous die off from the candida (including migraines). So it's something I want to reintroduce at some stage, but very gradually.

Can't say that I ever noticed improvements for my migraines, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if it had only been very subtle.

It makes you realise how much of a link there is between the gut and the head though, doesn't it?

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:29 am

It sure does - do you remember when we did the other illnesses list - IBS was top - makes you think......
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 pm

I have just spoken to the Dietician at York Test and it looks like I may have a candida problem too. Yeast has come up high on my intolerance testing and after speaking to her it looks like it may be causing a lot of my problems.

She explained that 80% of the gut is good bacteria and the other 20% is bad bacteria and yeast - if you loss the balance the bad bacteria and yeast have a party and eventually it grows a fungus, which over time penetrates threw the gut wall and gets into the blood stream. The bodies immune system goes into over drive trying to attack it and it can cause all kinds of problems.

So the plan is to cut ALL yeast from my diet: So NO.

Bread, Tea cakes
Yeast Extract
Wine / beer / larger / cider (spirits are ok)
Mushrooms
Vinegar
Soya Sauce
Corm
Sugar ! (But 2 pieces of fruit are ok - berries are best as slow sugar release)

Next is to introduce some good bacteria (the stuff you buy in the supermarket in yoghurts etc are not good enough)

She recommend a 'Bio Bifido Bac T' from a company called Neuro Tree - you can only place an order over the phone - 08450 70402.

I have to do this for 4 weeks and then call her for a review.

I am also seeing Doc S tomorrow, will be interesting to see what he says........

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 am

Oh very interesting Tee let us know how it goes..I have bloated up like a balloon this week..but I have been eating wheat again after the party weekend..birthday cake etc Sad
Starved myself today ..then fainted..not recommended will go more slowly now...
I am such a dill sometimes.
Glad the dietician is on board now..that'll help matters.
Jane
xxx
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by akrohn Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:14 am

I have taken probiotics for a couple of years. I tend to feel better if I take them, but I don't notice a change in the number of headaches. I have tried a diet similar to the one you described, Tee. If/when the yeast dies off too quickly, you get a rush of the toxins that are produced when they die. You may get a horrible migraine. I do. I have to go much slower to let them die slower, and then I can avoid the migraine.
Good luck!
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks for that Akron - I will keep an eye on that Smile To be fair I do not eat a fast amount of yeast - its the sugar that will be the problem Sad

The lady did say that she can give me something to kill off the yeast - BUT she did not want to do that at this stage, as the toxins would be to much for me to handle. We will do that a later stage.

Did you feel any better - tummy / IBS wise?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by akrohn Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:26 am

Well, I haven't ever been diagnosed with IBS. I was less bloated and generally felt better & less sluggish.
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 am

I've had a candida problem for absolute years now. I also find that if I make any changes whatsoever I can get die off and the most hidous migraines ever.

I'm starting to see candida in a different way these days though, in that it's about balance rather than trying to kill it off. Mainly because it's something that's naturally present in the body anyway, rather than some sort of invader.

I must admit, I do still eat sugar. I've been on a strict diet in the past, but these days I just think that there are so many things I can't eat that I do make plenty of gluten-free cakes.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:22 am

Sarah - how did you know it was dying off - was it just the massive mig?

Also, could you email the instructions for the cake Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 am

No cake for you - full of sugar! Very Happy

With the candida die off basically you get a worsening of symptoms. So, horrible migraines, athlete's foot, and other erm...embarrassing fungal symptoms (you know the sort!) That's how I know when it's die off. Yuk.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:34 am

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean you put sugar in your cake Smile LOL

Hmmmm thanks for the info - sounds such fun! Shocked
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down