Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Girl... old story!

3 posters

Go down

New Girl... old story! Empty New Girl... old story!

Post by wildflower0872 Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi,
I'm Christine and have had menstrual migraines since early high school and I'm now 40. I have been to see various GP's over the years who have all done a bit of 'lucky dip' in terms of prescribing and have had the following:
Imigran, Migraleve, Beta Blockers, Amytriptylene, Maximelts and now I'm on Migard.

I have asked to see a neurologist but was told 'they will just try to find the right cocktail and do what I am doing'... so never got anywhere. I wondered about getting a bit of money together and seeing a private consultant to see if that would help.

The migraines last for up to 4 days before and at the beginning of periods. I get the pulsing pains when moving and feel exhausted during and after each episode. I also get migraine if I drink alcohol or if I get too little or too much sleep. I don't seem to have any food triggers that I'm aware of.

I have a 12 year old daughter and I'm terrified she ends up with this condition too. I will be devastated if this is the case.

I hope to find a bit of support, useful information and compassion here... as you will know, most people don't get that it isn't just a 'headache' that you should push through! I have tried really hard to keep working, I run my own business, but at times it is hard to not just curl up into a ball and surrender to it.

Christine

wildflower0872

Back to top Go down

New Girl... old story! Empty Re: New Girl... old story!

Post by Sarah Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi and welcome.

I can certainly relate to your problem, as I have a massive problem with menstrual migraine (including migraines that aren't supposedly menstrual ones, as they are so late in the cycle, eg. around day 6).

I also use Migard (Frovatriptan), which I do find helpful, as it's so long lasting, but it's of very limited help.

Have you tried any supplements at all?

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by wildflower0872 Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I have dabbled with supplements but never really had knowledge about what might help with what I am going through... please share any wisdom on this as I would be happy to try anything to improve the situation!

wildflower0872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 pm

There are various possibilities with menstrual migraines, like vitamin B complex (vitamin B6 is the best one, but it's best taken in combination anyway, plus some of the other B vitamins are good for migraines ). There are different forms of the B vitamins, so it's not always easy to find a good one, but start with a basic B complex if you've not tried it before. You probably want around 25-50 mg of each main one, apart from B12, which comes in much smaller quantities, and niacin in higher.

Magnesium deficiency is another one that is implicated in migraines, and a lot of us are deficient (the body requires a lot of magnesium, and we tend to have a lot more calcium than magnesium in our modern diets). It's not the easiest of supplements to absorb, and there are lots of forms of it. The poorest is magnesium oxide. I personally find magnesium malate the best, but some find magnesium citrate OK. You can also get magnesium oil or flakes (for a bath or foot bath) to absorb it via the skin.

Another that I find helpful is iron.

Hope I haven't bored you to tears! Very Happy Give me a shout if you need to know anything more about any of this.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by wildflower0872 Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 pm

That is a great help thank you.

Shame the GPs can look at things holistically and test for any vitamin deficiency. Isn't there a place you can send your urine away to test! Razz Not a job I would want but would be helpful all the same!

wildflower0872

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 am

Years ago I had a blood test that picked up a magnesium deficiency. This was a private practitioner. I've also this year had a private vitamin D test which you send away. It's £25, if you are interested in the details (although I may have put them on this forum somewhere already!)

GPs don't seem to be interested in nutrition in general! Having said that, vitamin D is becoming a bit more mainstream.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Pav Khaira Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 am

Well, there are a lot of people here for support! Hope you can find something that works Very Happy
Dr Pav Khaira
Dr Pav Khaira

http://www.redskydentalspa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down