Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products - Page 2 Empty Re: Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

Post by Sarah Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I think the Fairy non bio still has plenty of dodgy stuff in it... I'd imagine anyway (since the ingredients don't need to be listed, it's kind of guess work!)

I'm still in two minds about the eco balls and whether to give them another go... I probably need to work my way down my huge supplies of natural washing liquids and powders that I've bought first! Very Happy

Yesterday I ended up washing a load three times, first with washing liquid, then with vinegar, then with sodium bicarb, and I still couldn't shift the smell! Sad Am hoping for a bit of sun today so I can get them on the washing line to air them out.

Great news on the foundation! I've got the concealer and finishing powder on order, so I'll be interested to see what they are like.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products - Page 2 Empty Re: Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products

Post by whitzendJane Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm

What I find works is the washballs..I don't get a musty smell though? Sometimes they don't get things as clean but occassionally I use the washballs in with a very small amount of non bio...that would be about a quarter of the recommended dose...still at the lowest temp.

Maybe it's our water here that makes a difference?
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 am

What's your water like, Jane? It's hard as a rock here (officially classed as 'very hard')

edit: have ordered one of those Magnaballs (Magnoballs? Not sure of the spelling). You never know, it might help soften the water a bit.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 am

Sarah it's medium hard..I tried the bicarb, vinegar stuff and I found they actually made my clothes smell weird..once I stopped using these it was better..who'd figure eh?

Oh just remembered something...yes the washing machine did get all whiffy..I think because it wasn't getting a regular 'scouring' from all the chemicals and high temperatures it did get musty. I got rid of this by putting soda crystals into the drum and ran an empty hot wash (this descales it too). I then let it run a long rinse cycle in addition to try and flush the soda out. Most proprietary brands of powder have a high soda crystal content.

Did the job but obviously it's not that 'green' and depends on how confident you are about and residue...but I figured I only do it once per year and no adverse effects to me or the boys delicate skin..so it worked out ok and probably helped the machine last a bit longer.

Tracey..don't go near the stuff it's strong so hubby would have to do this for you.

Has anyone found a good dishwasher tablet? I have tried some of the green ones but found they didn't work as well. I even made my own mix but not much luck there either. I draw the line at getting rid of the dishwasher...it's a must in our house.

x

Last edited by whitzendJane on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot loads of stuff..)
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks for the tips. Smile

Funny you should say about dishwasher tablets, as I'm really struggling to find a decent 'green' one at the moment. The Ecover one isn't too bad... ish, but I bought a different one yesterday, which is worse than useless! Seems that phosphates do a good job of cleaning!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks for the tips Smile

I have not found a good dishwasher tablet yet either - but I have another one on order.....
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:01 am

Another thing I need to buy (if I'm ever to do any cleaning, so maybe I won't bother... Very Happy) is some furniture polish. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 am

Sarah I do not use polish - I use an eco cloth - also have one in mop form for the wooden floors and they work great. If the furniture has a mark I just use a damp cloth Wink

Sheena - when your feeling a bit better I would be ineterested to know what you use for washing cloths, dishes and toilets???
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 am

I have loads of those micro fibre cloths and do find them good, but I guess I was thinking I ought to be using something to protect the wood...

I'm thinking of getting one of those floor steamer mops, although they're a bit pricey.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 am

If its natural wood - plain bees wax polish works well Smile It comes in a tin - bit like shoe polish - so not spraying Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 am

Ah yes, that's a good idea. Thanks. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 am

This is a great site and has loads of info - This fact sheet was very interesting - Handy Hints for the Chemically Sensitive

http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_handyhints.aspx
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for the link!! Smile

I currently have a Magnoball crashing around in my washing machine (hope it doesn't damage the drum!) I've also put it in the dishwasher for a load, but haven't inspected it yet!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products - Page 2 Empty Update

Post by Tee Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:17 am

I have just come back from the doctors as I had another big allergic reaction yesterday - its started to effect my breathing more and more and is getting scary. He has given me a high dose antihistamine and a puffer - I am to give it one month and it things do not improve he will sort out a epi pen and a referral to the allergy centre at St Thomas. I had a long chat with him and he agrees its the chemicals kicking it off.

But I also spoke to my Kinselogist and she sent me this paper re a supplement called Betaguard - I am going to try this too.

I also got the York test back and they have highlighted yeast and gluten (which did not surprise me) but also shell fish (which I do not eat as I do not like them) but also carrot! which has come as a bit of a surprise. I do not think the foods are causing the swelling ect, but they are not helping.

I will keep you posted Smile
Attachments
Questionable chemicals we put on our bodies, via cleaning products, cosmetics, and personal care products - Page 2 Attachment
Betagard.pdf Betagard detailsYou don't have permission to download attachments.(3.2 Mb) Downloaded 3 times
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 am

Yikes, that does sound scary. Sad V sorry to hear that. I wonder what set you off yesterday. I've not heard of Betaguard - sounds interesting.

I've heard loads of people are allergic to shellfish. I don't eat any sort of seafood, so no idea if I'm allergic or not! How strange about the carrots! When I did the York test, I had dairy come up, along with kiwi fruit and sesame seeds! In an ideal world I'd avoid all dairy, but I find I can mostly get away with goat milk and goat butter.

I'm really quite impressed with the Magnoball at the moment - I think the Ecover dishwasher tablets have done a better job with it in. I doubt it would do much in soft water areas though. I'll give it a good try with the washing machine tomorrow.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 am

Hubby owned up to cleaning some kitten poo up with a cat spray cleaner!!!! So we think it was that - doh

Hmm I find carrots odd - to be fair I do not eat that many and have not noticed a problem - but i will cut them out and for a month and introduce them back and see......

Oh the Magnoball sounds like its going to work Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Just thought I'd update. Obviously, nothing is done is isolation, so any results I'm having could be down to the combination of avoiding xenoestrogens as much as possible, taking seaweed capsules for iodine, and my remedy from the homeopath.

Anyway, I'm currently on my period (oh joy!), and my migraines are as bad as ever. However, it is definitely lighter than previously (5 day cycle rather than 6), and also arrived after 4 weeks, rather than the miserable 3 weeks 2 days of the last time.

So... fairly positive, although no impact on my head to speak of!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:46 am

One step at a time..... sorry its not had an impact on your head - maybe next month Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks - yeah, maybe too much to ask for!! Wink

I forgot to say, something else weird, which is obviously a hormonal change, is that I don't have to pluck my eyebrows quite so much! Shocked This is obviously a good thing (both for vanity and for my head - mostly I've just had to let them grow for fear of setting off a migraine!)

Last edited by Sarah on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:13 am

Oh how interesting lol.

I have just found out that my magnesium is based on yeast! Which might explain the sharp pain I am getting very low down on my right side of my tummy Sad Off to the health store again tomorrow.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:16 am

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whatgoes? Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 am

Tee, you mentioned the breathing and swelling issues and wondered if you have tried nasal rinses at all? They sound nasty but it really is great for nasal problems, has cut my sinus problems out completely. i was having sinus infections several times a year before. It is a saline rinse and the product I use is very natural sea salt with iodine in it. Another way to get a little Iodine boost. When i started rinsing, suddenly I could smell and taste again. Once I did it and saw the results it was something I wanted to add to my daily routine. The ones we have here are called a Netti Pot but there are currently many different brands on the market. It has helped a great deal with my allergies as my nasal passages were able to heal and I think actually the rinses helped to eliminate some of the allergens and bacterial. Jerri

whatgoes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

That's very interesting, I have not heard about these. To be fair my sinus is pretty clear - its the throat and lungs that cause the breathing problem - it has now been confirmed as Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MSC) so I stay well away from chemicals - grout and paint being the worse. I have Antihistamines in the house and if things get worse then an epi pen will be provided. But I am in control as long as I stay away from stuff Smile The problem is a true allergy so I swell, I get whole body swelling or lips, tongue, throat and lungs Sad
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:03 am

Would be nice to have these here in the UK - but its a start:)

Relle (an organic hair salon)

Recycling, conserving energy, and buying eco-friendly products will all make you feel better about doing your part to save the environment, but thanks to hair stylist Brandon Kline, Buffalo now offers a way to feel instant gratification!

Kline is the founder of Relle, the first organic salon to open its doors in Buffalo. The salon, located at 798 Elmwood Avenue at the corner of Auburn, uses Organic Color Systems, a luxury line of color and hair care products that are USDA-certified organic, paraben-free, ammonia-free, and formaldehyde-free, making it better not just for you but also for Mother Nature! Consumers are often unaware of the harmful substances found in products they apply to their hair and skin, just as Kline admits he was for years.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2011/10/relle-an-organic-salon.html
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 am

My husband uses a neti pot now - he gets horrible sinus headaches.

That hair salon sounds great!

Just to update on all this, I am absolutely amazed at how light my periods are since I cut out as many dodgy chemicals as possible. Sadly my head is no different, but a bit less period pain is obviously a good thing. Also, I'm wondering if my fibroids (diagnosed last year) might have shrunk a bit as my periods have become so much lighter.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next