Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain Clinic

5 posters

Go down

pain - Pain Clinic Empty Pain Clinic

Post by h.tomlinson Tue May 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Does anyone go to a pain clinic? and if so what help do they offer? Smile
h.tomlinson
h.tomlinson

Back to top Go down

pain - Pain Clinic Empty Re: Pain Clinic

Post by Sarah Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 am

Not yet, but I'm being referred to one for my jaw issues, which I'm not exactly enthralled about!

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by sisterphonetica Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm

My good friend has a severe spinal injury and found the pain clinic very useful. BUT it meant that he limited himself much more than he would have. He has since found a physio who is very interested in chronic pain and has much more of a life these days.

Actually, I think it was the Pain Management Programme he went on now I think of it. So I might be talking rubbish!

Oops.
sisterphonetica
sisterphonetica

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka Sun May 06, 2012 2:14 pm

I undertook a pain management course at the psychology unit at a nearby university. We tried meditation, relaxation exercises, self hypnosis and bio-feedback. Attended weekly for about 8 months.

While it did some good in the controlled environment of the university where there was a psychologist present and where the pain was low to moderate, I have not been able to practise the techniques successfully outside the consulting rooms.

I also have the problem that my migraines can be rather insidious (sneaking up in me without me being aware of them) so I rely on others to point out to me that a migraine is on the way. By that time I usually don't have the cognitive skills to carry out the techniques anyway.
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MyAcheyHead Thu May 10, 2012 9:27 pm

I have just been discharged from my Pain Clinic after 9 months. Attending at first every week then 6/8 weeks. I had a course of Acupuncture which was stopped after 3 sessions because the nurse felt it wasn't working. The given Gabapentin which was stopped only after 3 weeks because she felt it didn't work. I felt in both treatments should of been given more time.

I did feel the Pain Nurse didn't have enough knowledge on Migraines, which in fact she did say to me she didn't during one conversation. And was unaware of other possible treatments available.

So i am no better off for having been.

MyAcheyHead
MyAcheyHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down