Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE

4 posters

Go down

botox - Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE Empty Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE

Post by Tee Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 am

'The Migraine Trust said the decision was disappointing'................. That is an understatement........ I think its a total disgrace......They seem to have delayed the final decision to June............ Look at the figures £349 for the NHS while us patients still have to go private and pay £500+.......................

__________________________________________________________________________________________

By James Gallagher

The anti-wrinkle drug Botox is unlikely to be recommended for the treatment of chronic migraines on the NHS in England and Wales, the medicines watchdog said.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has published draft guidelines saying there is insufficient evidence.

It wants the manufacturer, Allergan, to provide better data before making a final decision in June.

The Migraine Trust said the decision was disappointing.

Migraines are severe headaches, which are often accompanied by nausea and vomiting and finding light or sound painful. Chronic migraines are defined as headaches at least 15 days a month, eight of which have to be migraines.

In July 2010, Botox was approved as a preventive treatment for chronic migraine in the UK by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. NICE is deciding whether the injection should be offered across the NHS in England and Wales.

Botox is injected into at least 31 sites around the head and neck every 12 weeks. However, how the neurotoxin might prevent chronic migraines is unknown. One thought is that it relaxes the muscles or possibly interrupts pain signals.

NICE said the injections had been "shown to have some benefit" such as in a trial involving 1,384 patients, published in the journal Headache.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17039135
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

botox - Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE Empty Re: Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE

Post by Sarah Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

Perhaps they will pull more information out of the bag by June for the final decision. Sad

Sarah

Back to top Go down

botox - Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE Empty Re: Not enough evidence for Botox migraine jab, says NICE

Post by Dr Pav Khaira Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am

My Allergan rep and I had already discussed this and were both concerned about it. Such a shame
Dr Pav Khaira
Dr Pav Khaira

http://www.redskydentalspa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarlett Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 am

They are handing out Botox like it is candy here in the States. One of my doctors is really pushing me to try Botox and to do at least 2 rounds of 31 injections before any determinations are made as to the effectiveness of Botox in my case.

Frankly, I am not sure that I am crazy about having something that is essentially a poison injected all over my skull. I do know that it has been altered so that it no longer is a poison. I have a couple of concerns. I have not seen any documentation as to the effect of Botox on Hemiplegic migraines. I react badly with lots of medications; therefore, I am wary of many medications, especially new ones that don't have any long term data to support the treatment for the malady.

I do know Botox has helped some of my friends, but none of them have Hemplegic migraines. Those with Hemiplegic migraines can not take Triptans - so can those with Hemiplegic migraines take Botox injections? Does anyone know ? Question

Thanks,

Scarlett Smile

Scarlett
Scarlett

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 am

Yes they can Scarlett - I have chronic HM and botox is the only thing which has worked ......... Its not fun to have by any means, but it only spreads about 5cm in a circle from the injection - hence why you have to have 31 The good thing is it does not go in to your blood system neither does it change the chemicals in the brain so the side effects are minimal.,,, There is a risk of an allergy but all drugs have this and the alot of people get a droopy eye lid........... but that is not a big price to pay.....

As someone who has had it 3 times now and seen the effects - I strongly believe everyone should be given the chance to try it......

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 am

Another piece on this in the Daily Mail....

Migraine victims could get Botox on the NHS: Anti-wrinkle jabs 'halve effects of pain'
By JENNY HOPE - 16th February 2012

Thousands of migraine sufferers could benefit if an official review gives the go-ahead for Botox jabs on the NHS.

Results of clinical trials suggest the injections, used as an anti-wrinkle treatment, can halve the effects of chronic migraine.

The therapy, which uses a purified version of botulinum toxin A, blocks overactive nerve impulses which trigger excessive muscle contractions.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2101821/Migraine-victims-Botox-NHS-anti-wrinkle-jabs-halve-effects-pain.html#ixzz1mZdZ4kEA
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down