Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What wines won’t trigger migraines?

3 posters

Go down

migraines - What wines won’t trigger migraines? Empty What wines won’t trigger migraines?

Post by Tee Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 am

I found this very interesting - not that I drink a lot of red wine - but I have been very confused about it over the last few years - sometimes I can have a glass and I am fine - other times I can have a glass and get a headache (not a migrain) within 10 mins - the pain is more like the ice cream one you can get - so this may explain why.................. I just need to remember the ones which had no effect lol

Has anyone else found this?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
BEPPI CROSARIOL - Globe and Mail Update
Published Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011 2:00PM EST

The question: I am sure you know that red wines are often listed as triggers for migraine headaches. My wife went to a function recently and returned home with the name of a red wine, Pascual Toso malbec, which her friends claimed is low in histamines, ingredients that apparently cause migraines. Have you heard of one red wine being lower in histamines than another? Do you know of any wine being “good” for migraines?

Histamines are part of a family of substances called biogenic amines, which have long been fingered as culprits in red-wine headaches. Amines are produced by otherwise harmless micro-organisms, often in the course of fermentation, and are found in many things we consume, including beer, cheese, sausages, bananas, chocolate, canned tuna and wine. Some people lack sufficient quantities of an enzyme that synthesizes dietary amines, leaving them susceptible to headaches or severe migraines.

While scientists have published many papers on the subject, I have yet to come across findings that could be called comprehensive. I must admit I don’t know specifically whether the Pascual Toso malbec you cite is indeed low in amines. Amine content is not listed on wine labels but it does appear to vary depending on the specific soil and weather in the vineyard. One study has concluded that French wines have higher amine content than wines from several other countries. That study also concluded that California reds are particularly high. But that’s painting the world with a broad brush. Amine content also depends on winemaking methods.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/wine/ask-a-wine-expert/what-wines-wont-trigger-migraines/article2271045/
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

migraines - What wines won’t trigger migraines? Empty Re: What wines won’t trigger migraines?

Post by pīwakawaka Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I avoid res wines because I'm sure it is one of my triggers, But I do enjoy a glass or two of white with a meal. The comment about organic Whites interesting as we drank one recently and I had a migraine very soon afterwards. Of course it might have been a coincidence, but it's something I'll watch out for - not that we have organic wine very often due to its cost.
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

migraines - What wines won’t trigger migraines? Empty Re: What wines won’t trigger migraines?

Post by Laura Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

Wine has been a definite trigger for me. However, I've found that I can drink wine that has no added sulfites as long as I decant it first. But even wine with no added sulfites has naturally occurring sulfites. So I decant the wine for about 2 hours before I drink it. This allows any sulfites to evaporate. One of my local wine shops sells a red wine from Africa with no added sulfites for about $10 U.S. However they can't always get it, so sometimes it is not in stock. I've been told that if I buy an aerator it would have the same effect in much less time.
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am

Oh Laura that is interesting - I did not know they would evaporate........... that makes sense - as sometimes I am fine and other not........... but I tend to open red and leave it a while.........
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 am

I found an interesting article (thewinemerchant.net/documents/SULFITESinWINE.pdf) regarding Red Wine Headaches. It discuses a number of possible triggers, but rules out sulphites. other possible causes are tannins, compounds found in grape skins and histamines. The article goes on to discuss possible solutions such as taking inhibitors of prostaglandin synthetase such as Aspirin before drinking and also taking strong black tea before and while drinking red wine.

Admittedly the article is about RWH (Red Wine Headaches) and not migraines, but some of the possible triggers to RWH are also known triggers for migraines.

had to fix the URL as I haven't been a member longer enough to include links
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down