Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New FDA Warning about Celexa, an anti-depressant that is sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers

2 posters

Go down

migraine - New FDA Warning about Celexa, an anti-depressant that is sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers Empty New FDA Warning about Celexa, an anti-depressant that is sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers

Post by Tee Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 am

FDA Drug Safety Communication: Abnormal heart rhythms associated with high doses of Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide)

Safety Announcement

[8-24-2011] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is informing healthcare professionals and patients that the antidepressant Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide; also marketed as generics) should no longer be used at doses greater than 40 mg per day because it can cause abnormal changes in the electrical activity of the heart. Studies did not show a benefit in the treatment of depression at doses higher than 40 mg per day.

Changes in the electrical activity of the heart (prolongation of the QT interval of the electrocardiogram [ECG]) - see Data Summary below - can lead to an abnormal heart rhythm (including Torsade de Pointes), which can be fatal. Patients at particular risk for developing prolongation of the QT interval include those with underlying heart conditions and those who are predisposed to low levels of potassium and magnesium in the blood.

The citalopram drug label has been revised to include the new drug dosage and usage recommendations, as well as information about the potential for QT interval prolongation and Torsade de Pointes. (See Additional Information for Healthcare Professionals)

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm269086.htm
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

migraine - New FDA Warning about Celexa, an anti-depressant that is sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers Empty Re: New FDA Warning about Celexa, an anti-depressant that is sometimes prescribed to migraine sufferers

Post by whatgoes? Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Boy! And they are pushing this one like it is candy too. I see commercials for it all the time. I have tired it twice and while I can't recall why I hated it so much I know I don't want to take it again. It probably made me lose a few more of those marbles I can't find anymore. It is nice to blame it on something.

Doctors love to push meds for depression. I know sometimes we need them but I am not sure as often as they push them.

One doctor told me how depressed I was. I said no, I am in PAIN not depressed. He said well yes you are. I then said, "If you can stop the pain I won't be depressed." But then I think I snapped a bit and said. "Have you ever felt like your head is in a vice and your eyes are about to pop out, and even your teeth hurt? You can't eat because your as so sick to your stomach with pain and forget going to sleep, as it is like a parade of drummers is marching through your head. Well give it a try for a few weeks and see if you don't come of seeming depressed." Ooops! But I think I got my point a crossed. He worked out a pain med plan and guess what" Yes the pain to stop and whawhooo, I was happy as "a bee in a field of flowers." (Just thought that sounded better than a "pig in mud." ) Let me just say from experience, "Keep an eye on your meds and your symptoms and make sure what you are going through is not due to your meds. " On the other hand, I know I could not get through life with out the help the good ones provide too. It is just a tricky science that is all. Big Hugs, Jerri
Hugs, Jerri

whatgoes?

Back to top Go down