Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feeling pain from sound

2 posters

Go down

pain - feeling pain from sound Empty feeling pain from sound

Post by Laura Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm

If feeling sounds is considered synesthesia - then is the pain associated with sound that is experienced by a migraineur considered synesthesia?
Laura
Laura

https://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

pain - feeling pain from sound Empty Re: feeling pain from sound

Post by Tee Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh interesting question.... I am not sure it is...........

Synaesthesia is a known aura for migraines - Its when 2 senses are stimulated from one experience... in a non logical way - ie words have colours.......

The books say...
Synaesthesia is from the ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation," is a neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. Over 60 types of synesthesia have been reported. One common form is known as grapheme - colour synesthesia - letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colour. In another form numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities.

Sound synesthesia normally involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker. I cannot find any reference to pain association.

The question here is if the 'pain' - is a sensory result to the 'sound'.......... I am not sure to be honest........... sound in itself can be a trigger - triggers do not cause migraine, but lead to a chemical reaction in the brain, which causes the pain..........

Tee x
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down