Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US

3 posters

Go down

Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US Empty Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US

Post by akrohn Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi, my name is Andrea. I am 37, married, and have 2 kids. I have a couple of different headache situations going on- migraine w/o aura, tension headaches, and I am pretty frequently having transformed migraines that last weeks at a time. My head hurts at least 5-6 days a week to varying degrees, and when I have a fresh round of Botox, I can sometimes cut that down to 3 days a week. I remember lying in bed in the middle of a sunny afternoon, watching my friends play outside, and suffering with what I know now was a migraine. I was about 7 or 8. I learned about 6 years ago that I also had Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome as a child and have had a few episodes as an adult. Thank goodness not many! Every female on my mother's side of the family has migraines, although they seem to be less frequent and severe than mine. My grandmother's migraines went away when she went through menopause, so I am kind of waiting for that lucky occurrence here.
I wasn't diagnosed with migraines until I was about 21. I had entered the Air Force Reserve (to become a flight medic and then have them pay for nursing school). I had a sick headache in basic training, went to the emergency room, and was subsequently diagnosed with migraine. I literally laughed in the neurologist's face and told her that I did not have migraines, because I was nowhere near as incapacitated by a headache as my mother was. Ha ha! Little did I know then what was in store for me! In the years since, my migraines have escalated in both frequency and severity at a pace I didn't think was possible. I have tried nearly every drug class used for preventatives, with no change in the headaches and all sorts of side effects. Right now, I am trying Nortriptyline (with little effect thus far) as a preventative, Botox every 3 months (which actually does help some, until it wears off after about 8 weeks), Relpax & Sumavel for abortives, Phenergan & Zofran for the nausea. I am finding in the past year or so that I am having more headaches that even the triptans will not touch, and I end up going to the emergency room for narcotics. Usually Dilaudid, Decadron, Toradol, and an antiemetic or two sometimes. Those are the ones that scare me. My very first ER trip, I only needed Benadryl and Compazine to get through the migraine. Now, I'm taking the big drugs and still hurting.
I don't work outside the home anymore. I worked as a paramedic (and LOVED it!) for 10+ years until I had my daughter. After I had her, I went back to work part time, but my headaches were so out of control that I ended up just quitting after awhile.
My headaches are still kind of out of control, actually. I just had Botox a week ago, I had neuromuscular massage therapy this afternoon, yet I am still having this transformed migraine. I was prescribed Prednisone @ my appt last week, to help decrease the inflammation and dig out of this crazy rebounding migraine. I can't figure out the stupid things, because I take no over the counter pain meds. I do my best to stick to 2 triptans a week, although sometimes it ends up as 3 if there is something I just HAVE to function for. I have maybe one caffeinated drink a week. I am stumped. Any ideas or suggestions you guys & gals have would be welcomed.
Thanks for providing a place to vent, ask questions, and find people to commiserate with. I truly appreciate it. Even though so many of my family members have these things, I find myself alone in the quest to cope a lot of times.
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US Empty Re: Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US

Post by Tee Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Andrea

Glad you made it Smile

I am sorry to read your story, which is, unfortunately, like so many others on here - migraines that just get worse and worse over time. So you are amongst friends Smile

Do you keep a migraine diary? and have you been able to identify any of your triggers over the years?

The sad thing about migraine is that everyone is different, everyone reacts to the drugs in different ways and everyone's triggers are different - so a one shoe fits all approach is hard to find - but we are finding that trigger avoidance is helping people.

There is loads of information all over the forum now and some people are having success with treatments, drugs and supplements. OK not quite a cure yet, but better management Smile

I too have Botox and have found it to help loads Smile But I have also looked at other parts of my life and made changes, I too do not work now - less stress - I have just had some allergy testing done and am now avoiding certain foods and chemicals, I also take a few mineral supplements. Meditate and have just changed my pillow - which again has helped with the morning neck pain Smile I make sure I get enough sleep and eat regular meals - little and often.

Interestingly I do drink coffee, about 3 cups a day and find it helps, I also drink it when I have a big attack to help the Triptan get into the blood stream quicker - funny how we are all different - but then I am beginning to think that they will soon work out that the different types of migraine are caused by different things. Question

Do have a look round and feel free to ask anything, I am sure someone will be able to help Smile and I am sure the others will be along later to say hi Smile

Tee

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US Empty Re: Hi everyone from the sweltering southern US

Post by akrohn Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I have identified triggers. They are changes in sleep patterns, neck and shoulder tension, stress, abrupt weather changes, bright lights, strong smells, and a food preservative found in some tomato sauce.
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:52 am

Hi and welcome. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum