Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ssp is that all I can claim?

4 posters

Go down

ssp is that all I can claim? Empty ssp is that all I can claim?

Post by h.tomlinson Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 pm

How are you suppose to live on £81.60 a week? I have my first sick note for 4 week in the whole 7 yrs of having chronic migraine and I dont feel I will be well enough to work after that. I have been trying to fight my way through the internet and goverment websites to see what I can on top of the £81.60 but thats seems to be it.
Does anyone have any pointers on what I can claim? I don't think I am entitled to dissability (from the question and answer on gov website). I think after 7 yrs of fighting through work with this I need to start looking at changing my life and that may start with a break from work for a period of time.
Any help is greatfully received.
x
h.tomlinson
h.tomlinson

Back to top Go down

ssp is that all I can claim? Empty Re: ssp is that all I can claim?

Post by whitzendJane Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:05 am

You should be able to claim dla. Not that you'd know it from the form or the websites. Apply for the forms then contact your local dial office or CAB.
Basically if you can't go out without help, can't drive or struggle to put a meal together from scratch then you should get some.
It's a minefield so do get help coz the way the forms worded is misleading for our type of condition.
Jane
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 am

Keep an eye out for the Disability Handbook- it has a whole chapter that translates the DLA forms into english.
They are an absolute * to fill in so do request help from a disability benefits advisor. Places like CAB and similar charitiable bodies may be able to help. *ponders why there is so little info on the Migraine charity sites about benefits for chronic sufferers.*

Be wary though- if you have migraine you can be refussed the mobility component on the grounds you cannot use it with a migraine and that you do not need it when you do not.

Have a look at Employment Support Allowence as with 7 yrs of C. migraine I am assuming you may not have a job.

Have a look at the moneysavingexpert site and Credit Action for info on managing a teeny budget.
Katie
Katie

Back to top Go down

Post by h.tomlinson Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:12 am

I am currently employed - started new job 3 mths ago after being made redundant...due to time off sick. I have just had a 4 week sick note so ne employees will not be happy but it's time I started taking care of me. After 7yrs I'm note getting better but worse so I think my body and brian need the rest.
Thanks for the info I will crack on with asking for forms etc. Shocked
h.tomlinson
h.tomlinson

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:11 am

DLA isn't means tested too..so you get it whether you are working or not...it's dependent on your condition.

Good luck and yes you do need to look after yourself...nice dawg too!

J
xx
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by h.tomlinson Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm

So I have decided I can no longer work like this and dr has signed me off. Work asked me to leave as I can't tell them when I can come back, I could have kicked up a fuss but I had only been with them 3 mths before I went off sick and they have paid me a bonus to see me through which they didn't have to do so not complaining, I am now swiming through the ocean of forms. ESA,DLA,tax Credit, careers allowance, life insurance. I will take the big ones to CAB to make sure I am doing them right. Once all that is sorted I may relax a little!
mad Scream
h.tomlinson
h.tomlinson

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 am

That is a big step you have taken - but I cannot help think it was the right one to do - I struggled when I left work and that was 5 yrs ago now - but once you mentally let it go the stress level does go down.

A lot of people have been through the form filling, so if you need help please do shout.

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Yup deffo a trip to the CAB..it is not something you should do alone as it is a complex process and you are exhausted.

I am pleased you have made a decision as often that in itself is enough to take a huge weight off your shoulders.

All the very best with your claim, it a long job but once you have sorted it all out you can try and relax more.

Kindest regards
Jane
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down