Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if you can't take anti-inflammatories?

3 posters

Go down

What if you can't take anti-inflammatories? Empty What if you can't take anti-inflammatories?

Post by Angie007 Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:28 am

Has anyone got any ideas what you can do in the most horrific migraine if you can't take things like aspirin or any anti-inflammatories and the triptans don't work that well because with a constant daily headache it's hard to know when it's so bad it's got to be a migraine and and by the time you do it's too late for them to work properly !!

Angie007

Back to top Go down

What if you can't take anti-inflammatories? Empty Re: What if you can't take anti-inflammatories?

Post by Sarah Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 am

When you say too late for them to work, I wonder if it's because the stomach has gone into stasis and the triptan isn't absorbed. This is what happens to me (and it's common with migraine), so I take an over the counter tablet with my Frovatriptan, which is called Motilium 10.

Just say it's for nausea with migraine, if they ask what it's for.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

What if you can't take anti-inflammatories? Empty Re: What if you can't take anti-inflammatories?

Post by Angie007 Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 am

Triptans always say that you have to take them at the onset of a migraine or they don't work..... is that not the case? Do some triptans work at a later stage of the migraine?

Angie007

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:25 am

I'm not sure that they won't work if not taken at the onset of a migraine. I think it's that they are much less effective. But I agree with you that if you have almost constant migraine symptoms of some sort, it's difficult to know when the real big ones are about to strike.

And I've learnt that taking the meds "just in case" is counter productive. The more frequently I take a medication, the less effective it becomes, and the nastier the side effects.
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I only take mine when I get desperate, as otherwise I get terrible rebound migraines. Otherwise I'd be taking the things every day. So yes, they do work, as long as I take my Motilium with it, and don't expect it to take the migraine away completely.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down