Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My TMJD (jaw issues)

5 posters

Go down

My TMJD (jaw issues) Empty My TMJD (jaw issues)

Post by Sarah Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 am

I didn't really know where to put this post, so thought I'd put it here. It certainly isn't a success story, sadly!

I believe I have had issues with my jaw all my life, only I didn't realise it. I have recently had an x ray and diagnosis that one jaw joint is slightly bigger than the other, so basically I'm a bit wonky-faced with a wonky bite! Bleurgh.

I first investigated TMJ disorder and whether it might be contributing to my migraines about 7 years ago now. I went to see a private dentist in London who has a special interest in it (and is very up to date). He fitted me with a dental splint to wear at night. This seemed to help with pains in my jaw, but didn't help my head. I then had a filling, which meant that the splint no longer fitted, so I stopped using it.

About 3 years ago now, my jaw started to become a huge problem, which was triggered by infections in my ear, I think. I went back to see the same dentist, who made me a different splint, which I still wear at the moment. It has helped me a little, but not a great deal.

I am also under the maxillofascial (or however it is spelled) department at the (NHS) hospital, who referred me for physiotherapy, and now want to try me with a different splint.

Basically, I am only just beginning to understand how much my jaw affects my head. Not only does it cause huge amounts of non-migraine pain on the left side of my head, but I am convinced that it either acts as a trigger to my migraines (other side of the head), or increases the intensity of the pain - I'm not sure which.

So, that's my sorry tale. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with similar issues, or ideas, of course! Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down

My TMJD (jaw issues) Empty Re: My TMJD (jaw issues)

Post by Tee Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:04 am

Hi

I have not had any experience of this - but I do know others who have. There is a booklet on the Migraine Trust about it.

http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-jaw-tension-in-migraine-and-headaches-10889

Sounds like you are in good hands. But you may want to contact the British Dental Health Foundation, Smile House, 2 East Union Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6AJ. Dental Helpline: 0845 063 1188 Website: www.dentalhealth.org Email: mail@dentalhealth.org

They may have some more idea.

Do let us know how you get on.

Tee x

As a side point my husband had neck pains and changed his pillow to one of those memory foam ones and that helped - not sure if it would help here though - just a thought xx
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by markx Fri May 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Sarah wrote:I didn't really know where to put this post, so thought I'd put it here. It certainly isn't a success story, sadly!

I believe I have had issues with my jaw all my life, only I didn't realise it. dental work in mexico dental mexico
I have recently had an x ray and diagnosis that one jaw joint is slightly bigger than the other, so basically I'm a bit wonky-faced with a wonky bite! Bleurgh.

I first investigated TMJ disorder and whether it might be contributing to my migraines about 7 years ago now. I went to see a private dentist in London who has a special interest in it (and is very up to date). He fitted me with a dental splint to wear at night. This seemed to help with pains in my jaw, but didn't help my head. I then had a filling, which meant that the splint no longer fitted, so I stopped using it.

About 3 years ago now, my jaw started to become a huge problem, which was triggered by infections in my ear, I think. I went back to see the same dentist, who made me a different splint, which I still wear at the moment. It has helped me a little, but not a great deal.

I am also under the maxillofascial (or however it is spelled) department at the (NHS) dental mexico hospital, who referred me for physiotherapy, and now want to try me with a different splint.

Basically, I am only just beginning to understand how much my jaw affects my head. Not only does it cause huge amounts of non-migraine pain on the left side of my head, but I am convinced that it either acts as a trigger to my migraines (other side of the head), or increases the intensity of the pain - I'm not sure which.

So, that's my sorry tale. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with similar issues, or ideas, of course! Smile

interesting...maybe you can help me...

I get terrible migraines...i don't know how to classify them. They start with sort of a "dry" feeling in my gut, and eventually progress into horrible maxillofacial pain, and usually end in me vomitting. Anyone have any idea what classification that might be?

Last edited by markx on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

markx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri May 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Mark

And welcome.

Do you get any numbness or weakness in your limbs or any visual disturbances?

If not then this could be either common or abdominal migraine.

How often do you get them? Are you taking any medication?

Tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon May 23, 2011 5:33 am

Hi Mark

I can tell you that my jaw-related head pain affects my stomach just as much as my migraine pain, so it could certainly be a TMJ issue that you have there, rather than a migraine one.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 am

Just to update on my sorry jaw tale. I decided out of desperation to buy a device from the US, which is based on myofascial release. I've always wanted to try myofascial release, but I really can't find anyone locally who does it.

This device is called the Myofree, and is fairly excruitiating so far to use. Basically, you use it to put pressure on muscle trigger points inside the mouth, whilst exerting pressure from the outside too. The strangest thing is that the parts of my mouth that I would have thought would be the most painful aren't, whereas other areas are horrendous! Time will tell...

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:36 am

Oh that sounds very interesting - just sorry it is painful to use - can you adjust the pressure? As a matter of interest where in the mouth is the painful bits?

Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 am

sounds like some sort of contraption out of Clockwork Orange..I hope it helps...it's amazing how much referred pain we get sometimes..and not always i the places we expect it to be.
Good luck and let us know if you feel better.
xx
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 am

Yikes, Jane! Shocked Laughing

Yes, the pressure you put on is entirely up to you, and it comes with a DVD explaining what you do where, and not to push through unbearable pain.

The worst painful areas are inside my cheeks (who knew?!), and under my tongue on the right (just behind the front teeth on the right). I expected the worst bits to be nearer my jaw joint.

You are supposed to use it twice a week for three weeks, then as and when after that time.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 am

Oh how interesting - not where I expected either - do let us know how you get on - fingers crossed for you Smile
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 am

Ouch, I think I might have overdone my last treatment! Hope that's all it is anyway.

I forgot to say last update that the very painful places in my mouth are on my migraine side, rather than the side that I'd normally call my jaw pain side. I'm convinced it's all linked together, rather than two separate things, albeit that I have other triggers (hormones etc).

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:21 am

wow go easy..but am not surprised its your mig side..slowly, carefully young padwan...lmao
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by akrohn Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:32 am

I can definitely see how TMJ problems can cause a migraine. When I am super stressed, I will clench my teeth without realizing it. This in turn tenses that muscle in your jaw and right at your temple, which triggers a migraine. Fortunately, I don't do this very much, because I have enough other stuff triggering migraines. I really don't need my jaw to do it as well.
I am sorry you are suffering so much with your jaw. I hope the new contraption helps.
akrohn
akrohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down