Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice

3 posters

Go down

Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice Empty Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice

Post by Tee Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:35 am

BY FUNKE OSHIFUYE, 8 MARCH 2012

What's the big deal about brown rice anyway? There's a whole lot of difference between brown rice and white rice!

Apart from the colour which is obviously different, the process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer- the hull, of the rice kernel which still keeps its nutritional value intact.

The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67 percent of the vitamin B3, 80 percent of the vitamin B1, 90 percent of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60 percent of the iron, and all of the dietary fibre and essential fatty acids.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201203080700.html
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice Empty Re: Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice

Post by Sarah Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 am

I actually disagree with this. Not around the facts that wholegrain foods are higher in magnesium than white - they definitely are. But, apparently wholegrain foods are rich in phytic acid, which can act as a blocker to nutrient absorption, meaning that potentially more nutrients might be absorbed from the white grains. There seems to be a lot of controversy over this, as with so many things food-related!

Apparently, we should be soaking our grains to reduce the phytic acid content down before eating them/cooking with them. This all seems a lot of effort and it's not something I've tried.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice Empty Re: Rich in magnesium - Brown Rice - Chewier, More Nutritious Than White Rice

Post by Tee Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:18 am

Thats interesting - when I had my allergy tests done - rice was one of them........... so I eat very little of it now - but maybe soaking it would help ?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekoha Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Sarah,
Yeah, there is so much controversy over everything food related! Living in Japan, we eat a lot of rice. My husband prefers white rice, but I prefer brown rice unless it is served with stew or curry or cooked in something, like an omelet. But I have only recently started hearing that we should soak our rice before cooking. I don't know. People didn't soak brown rice before cooking it in ages past, but they got the proper nutrients as long as they ate a proper mixture of foods (and got enough food!). Taking vitamin and mineral supplements is a new phenomenon, and I wonder if it has something to do with our foods becoming less nutrient-rich as time goes on. It's certainly an interesting thing to debate!
Carla

Nekoha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, from what little I've read, our ancestors did used to soak and ferment grains. eg. bread making now bears little resemblance to the way bread was made years ago (more of a sourdough type).

I haven't yet tried soaking grains out for myself, because I can't seem to find a way to do it within the recipes of the kinds of things I like to make (because you have to allow for the extra liquid), but there are loads of recipes and pieces of information online, if anyone is interested in following this up.

At the risk of sounding a complete crazy though (Very Happy), I've been soaking grains for my elderly decrepid hamster for the last couple of months, as he got to the stage where he would hardly eat anything. He has been tucking into it, and has really perked up. Difficult to know how much of it is down to the extra nutrients and how much is down to just having more food inside him in general, of course!

You're supposed to soak them with an acid (eg a splash of vinegar), but for the hamster I've just been soaking them in water.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17 pm

hmmm I am going to have a play.........it makes sense as I do already soak lentils and beans.... so it cannot be too hard - and I have the 'Tee Tummy Test' lol - if I can eat it and no tummy ache in 24hrs its worked........... Laughing
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Can't wait to hear your results! Might be worth a quick Google first - I'm not sure of the recommended way to soak rice.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down