Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from a newcomer!

3 posters

Go down

Hi from a newcomer! Empty Hi from a newcomer!

Post by Alice Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 am

Hi all, I have found it difficult to get down to the nitty gritty and actually join this forum. So hard to see it in black and white , but here goes. I was taken into hospital FEb 2011 with severe headache on left side of head and weakness on rightside of body,temporary speech loss,hearing loss in right ear and felt very ill. was in hospital for five days but diagnosed as severe migraine. CT scan clear, horrific lumbar puncture(damaged a nerve) clear but refused an MRI- suggested not justified and said I was too young to have had a stroke. Sent home and was very ill for the next 6 weeks in bed passed from consultant to consultant until family paid for private MRI and MRA-took results to Stroke clinic(back to NHS) where an excellent Stroke consultant diagnosed small stroke caused by clot to the left side of the brain. This was diagnosed 7 weeks after my stroke occurred! Immediately prescribed combination of drugs for life to keep me safe. I had headaches before my stroke, but ever since the stroke I have had migraines which were diagnosed by a Neurologist as Hemiplegic Migraines. I have recently, through strict diet managed to reduce occurance from 20 days per month to 6 days-really pleased with this. However when I have these migraines I can honestly say that I have never felt so miserable! the pain is horrendous and I am left feeling so exhausted before during and after. I can only hope that the occurances will continue to reduce. This experience has been life changing for myself,husband and children and although there have been some very painful moments, the inforced adjustments of lifestyle has actually had some positive aspects. I am still on a journey trying to adjust and I have found the postings from you all very interesting and at times comforting.

Alice

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newcomer! Empty Re: Hi from a newcomer!

Post by pīwakawaka Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Lumbar punctures are not nice are they? I'm surprised that you didn't get an MRI. I would have thought that if you didn't have a history of Hemiplegic Migraines you would have given you the works just to absolutely rule out the possibility of a stroke. Before I earned a history of having migraines with stroke-like symptoms, whenever I was taken to hospital I got the works: CT and MRI scans, X-rays of my upper chest and neck, lumber punctures, EEGs, bloods and probably a few more that I have forgotten.

Now, If I get as far as the hospital (my history is on record), I'm likely to be given some pain killers and as soon as I am more or less coherent, I'm discharged. A bit of a bummer really as the hospital is in another town a half hour's drive from home, and I've usually been picked up without a wallet or phone.

The thing that concerns me is what happens if I really do have a stroke. What are the chances of my condition being misdiagnosed as migraine and being promptly discharged?
pīwakawaka
pīwakawaka

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Alice I am so pleased you plucked up the courage to post - I know that took a great deal of effort xx

HM and stroke is a horrid thing........... and it seems they often miss it... I have seen a number of doctors over the last 6 years and they are not consistent re me having a stroke or not......

I too am surprised they did not do a MRI - a lumber punch normally comes after that - and is not a nice experience at all...

Have the doctors done any tests to see why you had the clot happened - ie a test for a PFO?

I am pleased to read that you have already managed to get the number of attacks down - here is a list of potential triggers, which help you identify some more - the more you canget rid of the better?
https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t330-types-of-triggers

Just on a side have you had any mineral testing done? As you know I had a big TIA / HM and I have found mineral supplements helpful.

Are you still just under the stroke doctor or are you also seeing a migraine neurologist?

Hug

Tee

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hi from a newcomer! Empty Hi from a newcomer

Post by Alice Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 am

Thank you Tee. Yes I had a heart scan which was inconclusive so the cardiologist performed a TSO(?) i.e camera down my throat which showed no PFO but as the camera retreated he caught sight of atheroma(furrring of arteries) of my Aorta arch and descending Aorta.He was surprised since I did not have any risk factors-nonsmoker, normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol,nondrinker and always excersised.I am overweight(working on that one!) but he said not enough to have caused atheroma. He said it may be genetic and went on to explain that post mortems carried out on young soldiers from Falklands, Aghan wars etc clearly showed atheroma in fit low risk group which the medics were surprised to find but concluded that there was alot more research required and possibly genetics played a part. Cardiologist and Stroke consultant concluded that because Atheroma had been found in some of my critical arteries that they could presume I have atheroma in other parts of the body and therefore whatever caused a sudden rise in Blood pressure in Feb last year, caused a clot that would have formed in a blood vessel leading to the brain and caused a stroke.I have since brought my cholesterol down to 3.5.
Tee, I saw the Stroke consultant 3 times and he discharged me in September because he felt I should be fine. I finally saw the Neurologist 7 months after my stroke and she diagnose my Hemiplegic Migraine saying that I was the first person she had seen who had a link between HM and stroke-scary! She believes in oneoff consultations so she spent 1.5hrs with me and then discharged me. I will ask my GP to refer me to her again-I need some more help!
Thank you for the link to triggers-very useful. Also for the comment on a mineral test- I was reading about Magnesium and Migraines last night. Who would I see for this test?

Alice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 am

Ok That all makes sense - at least you know why the stroke and bring your cholesterol down is great - well done you.

I had the camera down throat too........ not a nice experience, but they only found a floppy valve and a double heart beat with me and can not explain it!

Your GP can sort the tests for minerals.............

I will PM you re doctors....

Tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum