Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children

3 posters

Go down

treatment - Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children Empty Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children

Post by Tee Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:54 am

March 1, 2012 By marie-catherine.mousseau@mims.ie

Metoclopramide is an antiemetic. Its mechanism of action is unclear but it is thought to have both central action by blocking dopamine receptors and local effect on gastric muscle, stimulating contractility. It is authorised for use in adults for the treatment of disorders of the gastrointestinal tract associated with delayed gastric emptying such as reflux oesophagitis and hiatus hernia, nausea and vomiting associated with the administration of cytotoxic drugs and radiotherapy, for use in diagnostic procedures such as barium studies and duodenal intubations and to counteract gastric stasis associated with attacks of migraine.

The use in young adults (under 20 years) and children is currently restricted to the treatment of vomiting associated with radiotherapy and intolerance to cytotoxic drugs and as an aid to gastro-intestinal intubation. The risk of extrapyramidal disorders is outlined in the produ

http://www.imt.ie/mims/2012/03/metoclopramide-%E2%80%93-new-recommendations-for-treatment-of-children.html
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

treatment - Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children Empty Re: Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children

Post by Sarah Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:57 am

I used to give this drug to my rabbits! Very Happy

On a more serious note, I have this problem with gastric stasis with my migraines, and I take a Motilium tablet with my triptan, which is available over the counter. It works in a similar way to Metoclopramide, but it's available OTC.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

treatment - Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children Empty Re: Metoclopramide – New recommendations for treatment of children

Post by Smudge Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi im wondering if anyone can help me my 9 year old son was diagnosed with hemi-plegic migraine and put on pozitifen medication 2 tablets to be taken at night he has a constant headache and since coming home from hospital we have had 2 more attacks within 4 days if anyone can help me i would most appreciate it.....

Smudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am

Oh Smudge (Welcome x) - I am truly sorry to read that - this is a rare form of migraine and it is not a nice one.....for someone so young - I do feel for him and you.

Where are you? Which hospital / consultant are you under? - He needs to be seeing a migraine neurologist.... that's the first step...

I am a afraid to say, there is no cure for HM - I am sorry to be so blunt, but popping a pill and it going away is not going to do it long term - BUT you can manage it.......There will medication he can try as he gets older, not one pill works for everyone (In fact there has not been a medication yet just for migraine preventions, all meds out there were created for something else and just found to help with some people for migraines) so with mediation you have to try and see - everyone is different... They do not know yet what causes it, although they have proved some genetic links with this type and I know a big study is going on at the moment in London to look for more.

BUT HM is triggered......... and this would be what I would be looking at if he was my son (In fact its what I have been through with my own - who had his first migraine at 5)

Triggers build up - so it does not have to be just one thing........ they can be hard to work out - so keeping a diary is a good idea... try and write down what he eats and what he was doing before an attack, the environment he is in is during an attack is important, as there are so many environmental things that can be triggers ie loud noise, bright lights, strong smells, just the number of people can do it - even the weather.... (triggers can be up to 3 days before - so its hard to tell at times)

This is a list of potential triggers - he will NOT have all of them - but it will give you something to work from -

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t330-types-of-triggers

(With my son it was nitrates - ie hot dogs, the smell of a washing powder, lack of sleep and stress)

Once you have worked out a trigger you try to remove it or manage it. We all have different triggers - so if you find one do shout out as I am sure someone will have a way to deal with it.

Most HMer find a regular routine helps - ie pattern of food (every 4 hrs) and nothing to peak his sugar levels, a regular sleep pattern and lots of water to drink.

You may find this helpful to as it it explains the stages of an attack - you may find that you can spot one coming before he does...

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t100-potential-migraine-phases-and-symptoms

The other thing you may find of use - is this - its a list of aura - but again he will NOT have it all - but HM comes with aura - so he may experience things which you may not have put down to HM - just knowing the different kinds may help you.........

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t250-types-of-aura

My heart really feels for you and I wish I had a magic wand..........

Hugs

Tee x

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down