Hi Everyone...I'm Beyond Frustration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi Everyone...I'm Beyond Frustration

Post by wutwoo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:55 am

Hi everyone, I am ecstatic to find this site...hear stories, talk to people who understand and/or can shed some light, share tips, etc. I've been suffering from migraines since age 25. They became chronic in 2006. They are always on the left side usually orginating in the back occipital nerve then wrapping around my ear into my temple upward into my forehead and top of my head. Experience the nausea (sometimes vomiting), tender scalp (hair hurts), sensitivity to light and extreme sensitivity to sound. Actually, I have a constant sensitivity to sound, like high pitched noises or loud noises, and am constantly asking my family to speak softer. I amaze my daughter at how well I can hear things, like her whispering word for word in the next room. Smile I also have/get pain in my neck and at the base of my skull. I can't tell you the last time I haven't hurt there, I've just come to live with it. Over the years I've been on Imitrex, Gabapentin and others. Now I'm using Tompamax, Propranolol then Maxalt, Tylenol 3 and Amrix when needed. I also know my triggers: MSG, caffeine, aspartame, wine, peanut butter. I've also done the chiropractor route and massages. I was doing good for awhile, only getting a migraine with my cycle, but now I've had a migraine left again everyday for 3 almost 4 weeks now.

Then on top of that, two weeks ago tomorrow, I heard a pop and had a piercing/stabbing pain about 1.5 inches above my right ear and continue to have pain and extreme tenderness there. It's nothing I've ever experienced before and it's so different from my migraines. At times it feels like someone is slicing into head. In fact, the pain woke me up at 5:30am this morning. On Monday my neuro wanted to admit to the hosptial for a complete workup but naturally that paticular hospital wouldn't take my insurance so I had an outpatient CT with and without dye and put me on Fioricet and Diclofenac. Thankfully the CT was clear, but still no answers. And if I'd been in hospital they were also going to do an Angio and Lumbar puncture, but now I can't get any answers from my dr and all he wants to do is increase my medication (told him the meds weren't touching the pain yet). He started me on the Fioricet 4x's a day and it's not touching the pain so he says to up to every 4 hours/6x's a day and that it could take 30 days to help!

I'm just so fed up of being in pain all the time and being down. I would like to know what type of migraine I have, given some answers, help or something. I'm with a lot of you and feel like my dr doesn't really listen to my symptoms and to me the drugs just mask the problem and you're not getting to the root of the problem. I've been in bed and missed work all this week and I'm going to miss my daughters volleyball tournament this weekend Sad I can't keep going on like this. Thanks so much for listening Smile

wutwoo

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Everyone...I'm Beyond Frustration

Post by Dr Pav Khaira on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 am

Hmmm, interesting pattern. I don't hang on different types of migraines, so maybe Tee could help you out here. All I'm bothered about is the pattern and how that would affect what I do

Tell me, how many times do you wake in the night? Do you have the pain on waking? I'm pretty sure I know what you're going to say but I just want to see if I'm right

Have the medications helped? Have you ever had any type of injury such as whiplash?

Interesting about the pop and the ringing sensation in your ears

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to build up a clear picture of what's going on!

Tee, what a fantastic site you've build as a platform for people to help each other!
Dr Pav Khaira

http://www.redskydentalspa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wutwoo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:43 am

Thank you for responding. I wake several times in the night. And yes, this morning, this new piercing pain woke me at 5:30am. However, I don't have any ringing in the ear. Just the pain about 1.5-2 inches above my right ear and back from temple and it's tender to the touch and seems swollen. My right eye also hurts/feels funny times and waters.

I've been on Amitriptyline for several years, which has helped in the past, but the past month, not so much. And yes, with my normal migraines, I wake in the morning with the pain, especially the neck pain/base of skull.

Thanks.

wutwoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:06 am

Hi wutwoo and welcome.

Sorry I missed your post- not sure why...

It sounds like yo may have more than one type - which is quite common in chronic people (I have 4 types) - This list may help..

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t330-types-of-triggers

You are also describing a lot of aura symptoms so you may find this useful too - you will not have all of these - but you may spot a few which you do have and not put down to migraine.

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t250-types-of-aura

Have you been able to work out any of your triggers yet?

Tee x

Admin

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum