Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello I'm Gill

4 posters

Go down

Hello I'm Gill Empty Hello I'm Gill

Post by RedGill Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like to say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you so much as this site is such a wonderful idea. I am a member of the MAA and that helps to know you can get info but when its people like yourselves it feels more real to ask if you know what I mean.... You also have had some worse experiences than myself and I dont mean anything awful by that I just mean that it brings to life that there IS someone worse than me... Have I been nasty saying that? I'm sorry I don't mean it in that way whatsoever and I'm sorry for that x
I have suffered with migraines since a very early age that I don't even know what age I was! I remember in my primary school having sickness so much I had to have barium meals to see what was wrong with me which turned out to be stomach migraine which I understand now but obviously not then, but nobody did. I was sent to school so ill and threw up at school most days. I hated school and I will never be one to say those were the best days of my life or I wish I was back at school!
I have not actually been given a name for my migraines so I do not know what migraines I have I'm afraid my knowledge is limited although I thought I was pretty good on migraine. I have seen the neurologist at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough after a lot of persistance. I dont think some GPs understand!
I will have to leave it there I'm afraid I cannot look at the screen any longer sorry
Gill x
RedGill
RedGill

Back to top Go down

Hello I'm Gill Empty Re: Hello I'm Gill

Post by Tee Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Gill

And welcome to the group. Very Happy

You are amongst friends - and we are all happy with you having a better time of it - honest LMAO

Its a shame but migraine in children has only just really been recognised and many GPs still do not see it - I myself was sick when ever I went in a car, even today I cannot go in a dark car and the smell of a new car ewwwwww

What are the symptoms of your migraine, prehaps we can help put a name to them for you? How many do you get and do you know the triggers? Are you taking any medication?

The forum is brand new but we already have a fantastic group of people all of whom have years experience of migraine, its triggers and treatments. So any question you have - ask away - nothing is too silly to ask.

Tee x

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Gill Smile

I can definitely relate to what you say about finding out there are people who have had worse experiences than ourselves. It's hard to keep perspective when you suffer from chronic pain, after all, and I try to remember (not always successfully) that there are others who have things worse.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 am

Welcome Gill glad you managed to find the forum and lovely to read your 1st posting. I just wanted to say hello and assure you that you are amongst fellow sufferers who understand.

Best wishes
Jane
x
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedGill Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi again everyone and Thanks again, My migraines are triggered mostly with sleep pattern being disturbed. I cannot seem to tolerate late nights so bang goes my social evenings! Certain alcohol but not sure which so I tend to stay clear of it for safety now, why bring a migraine on when I get so ill with them is my moto. Aspartame is another trigger I have narrowed down to, and a certain level of caffine but I am unsure where that level is too so I have decaff and then the odd coffee when decaff is unavailable doesn't seem to harm. It truely is a minefield and I count myself lucky that I have managed to figure out these triggers as I know many people cannot. I do still get migraine that I cannot account for a trigger for so as the neurologist said you will never rule them out even knowing all your triggers and thats IF I know them all which I think I do. He said there will always be an odd random migraine without a trigger!
I am currently taking Topiramate morning and night and I have thankfully had less migraines and what I have had have been less severe. So I know you said you havent heard of anyone who has had success from it Tee I do seem to be your first!!! I will say at first I had odd feeling in my toes and fingers and if I miss one I get that feeling even now but it is worth that side effect to me for the benefit I am having. I now even have headache free days!!! drug free weeks even (excluding Topiramate)!!! This is amazing for me and I'm sure others of you can relate to this and know exactly what this must mean?
I still have cronic car/motion sickness, and the days I am headache free I cannot always say I am symptom free but I am close to what I would call living a 'normal' life.
Do other people fear if this debilitating condition effects their brain? I have this fear that every attack leaves damage????? Is this silly? I used to be a lot brighter I dont seem to be as clever a thinker anymore especially with maths and logic problems.
Thanks
Gill
RedGill
RedGill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Gill

I am soooooooooooo pleased you are getting symptoms free days - I did on the Fluazarine and its such a blessing. I am also pleased that you have found Tomapax useful, you are indeed amongst few (that I know of) who do - but any drug that works is good in my books Smile

I do feel for people who have food as a trigger - it must be so hard finding the exact thing - as combinations can also do it - as can one thing in the food - I read an article the other day (will try to find it) where things like cinnamon and gluten where the triggers - damn hard to inpoint them.

As for the brain damage, I am not sure, I certainly felt I had done some damage after the TIA, BUT I also feel I have got that back. What worries me more is the long term effects of all these drugs we take.

One thing that did help me get my 'thinking' head back was the brain trainer on the DS - when I first did it - I came out as a 86 yrs old Shocked and I was sooooooooooooo slow. Ok it took a few months, but I did a little bit each day and I am now down to a 30 yrs old Very Happy One of my doctors said doing Sudoku puzzzles can help to Wink But saying that when I am having a bad day I cannot think for toffee .

Tee x
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Tue May 03, 2011 4:33 am

Hi again Gill cheers

Yes I think it does slow you down..brain fog etc. I am not sure whether his would be classed as damaged as this would show on an MRI scan. Much as it does if you have a stroke or MS they can see scarring and stuff (stuff that's technical Jane 'stuff' Razz ). I think the migs impair your thinking by causing a sort of short circuit across the brain which effects the messaging system.

I do agree with Tracey about the Brain training helping as I had the same success with it..the WII fit helped me regain better balancing skills too..enough to give up my trike and move back on to a normal 2 wheeler. I don't risk busy roads but I can pootle about with the kids now, and people don't try and flag me down to try and buy ice creams off me now.

Jane
xxx
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Gill,just wondered how you were getting on?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum