Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines

3 posters

Go down

Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines Empty Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines

Post by Tee Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 pm

April 21st, 2011 - Posted by Dr. Alex Mauskop

Question: What does blood platelet count have to do with Migraines?

Platelets are indeed involved in the development of migraines. They tend to become sticky and release serotonin which is intimately involved in the migraine process. Aspirin, among other effects, prevents platelets from becoming sticky and that is how, at least in part, it is thought to treat and prevent migraine headaches. The actual number of platelets, or platelet count is also important to know because people who have too many platelets (a condition called thrombocytosis) are more likely to develop headaches. Actually, headache is one of the most common neurological symptoms of thrombocytosis. Effective treatment to reduce the excessive number of platelets will usually improve headaches as well.
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines Empty Re: Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines

Post by Sheena Hulston Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 am

I am being tested yearly for Hughes syndrome/Sticky blood syndrome, you can get boughts of this when you have infections your body fights you, not the infection.
Clues for me, severe car sickness as a child severe morning sickness, 7 miscarages and boughts of bruising for no reason. Platelet were low and white cell count was high at tests but not high enough and fell by second test so just keep testing me so I keep taking Asprin but if its proved I have it I will have to go on Warfarin.
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines Empty Re: Expert Answer: Blood Platelet Count & Migraines

Post by Tee Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks Sheena - I never knew you could get boughts of it - I was tested once for Hughes and now take small Aspirn asa 'just in case' pill lol

Interesting I had severe car sickness as a child, severe morning sickness and boughts of bruising - never knew they were all linked - thanks Smile

I also have had DVTs and have been on warfarin. Tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:57 am

http://www.hughes-syndrome.org/ this link is worth a read any time.
Sheena x
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 am

Thank you - That was very interesting - I have already had every thing on that list apart from a pulmonary embolism and heart attack! . I have been on Harprin and Warfarin after the stroke and DVT.

What is interesting is that in my early 20's I was rushed in to hospital with internal bleeding and the cause was never found - I wonder..........

Wonder if I should get tested again or is the fact I am already on Aspirn mean I am covered?
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 am

I am being re tested in october and then every year, watch out if bruising gets worse if you get flu or an infection and if you get "corn beef skin" Dr S Is not convinced Hughes and DVTs in the brain causes migraines, but too many coincidences for me!!! Hughes is hard to diagnose my count was 33 by the time NDDH did the test then they messed up one of the clotting tests but the count was 33, by the time London re tested it had dropped to 17 again. so something is going on!!! but 33 was not high enough for hughes, but that was 6 months after "Stroke"
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 am

Hmmm you have my wondering....

Also - my test was done 8mths after the stroke AND after I had been on Harprin and Warfrin - which thins the blood anyway... will mention this to my GP and see what he thinks..
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks I found this really interesting, as I had a miscarriage and pre-eclampsia/eclampcia. I also have gastro problems, raised liver readings at times and a lot of the other symptoms on the list.

I have thankfully not had thrombosis/DVT so may give the Jr aspirin a go. My migraine symptoms fit the remit too. However one thing I don't understand is that I have had so many blood tests recently for various things, I can understand whether it is a specific test for this illness or whether it would have been spotted on a full blood screen. I have had a lot of these full screens for my biliary disorder (liver, kidneys, pancreas, white and red cells counts etc etc)...would it have showed up on these if there was an issue with sticky blood? I can't figure it out on the website?

I hope this makes sense? Not one of my better days today.

Jane
x

whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Jane Yes it is a specific blood test done with snake venom (on the blood not you!) as far as I can work out it has to be done when you have a severe infection when your body is fighting an infection ie a cold, or in the case of a miscarrage, the baby. It is very hard to prove you have it I have all the symtoms and the count was high then fell but one clot test was wrong so they couldnt prove it.75mg asprin just thins the blood and allows it to flow more easily through the system so check if its ok with other drugs first!!!
The rhumatology Dr said small undetectable DVTs can cause damage to the brain eventually causing migraines!!1 Who knows !1 I have been told so much but take it in case
Sheena
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:31 am

As far as I know its a specific test. Might be worth a call to the GP to see if it was done when you were really bad.
Tee
Tee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down