Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top tips on having a migraine free Christmas

2 posters

Go down

Top tips on having a migraine free Christmas Empty Top tips on having a migraine free Christmas

Post by Tee Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:30 am

This time of year has to be one of the worst for migraine triggers - all that planning and shopping - the smells, the crowds, the noise, different foods, the lights, visiting friends and family, heightened emotions ....... all possible migraine triggers. And remember triggers are accumulative...

My top tips on having a migraine free Christmas...

1) Try to stay calm - remember mediation and beuyko breathing - it will all get done and if not its not the end of the world - and remember delegate! Remember Christmas is about the time you have with your family and friends not that you forgot the sprouts!

2) Avoid the crowds - shop on line - make a list and hit the PC - this includes the food too. Supermarkets are bad on a normal day, but during a Christmas frenzy they can be a migrainers hell. If you do have to go - go either first thing in the morning or very late at night, many are open 24hrs now - or better still send someone else Smile

3) Try to stay to the same sleep pattern - Late nights and even morning lie-ins can cause an attack.

4) Eat and drink regularly: mealtimes and the types of foods can change over the Christmas period. So watch what your eating if you have food triggers. To keep blood sugar levels stable - avoid too many sugary snacks and remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

5) Be prepared for those flashing or flickering Christmas lights - try wearing tinted (sunglasses) when they are around (always carry them with you).

6) Get some fresh air and exercise and don't spend long periods in front of the TV or a computer screen.

7) Get someone else to do the Christmas dinner or go out to a quite restaurant - the stress of pulling off a big roast can cause an attack as can the let down after.

8 ) Plan for a night out - rest the day before and have nothing planned for the day after - remember to take your triptans with you and have a 'get me home quick plan'

9) Please do not hit the pills - take the amount you are allowed - you do not need a rebound headache come new year Smile

Do you have any tips you can share?

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Top tips on having a migraine free Christmas Empty Re: Top tips on having a migraine free Christmas

Post by Lesley anne Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 am

Hi everyone, I could relate to some of this!!! I was recently passing by one of those very trendy shops for young people ( a branded name) , thinking I could maybe get something for my nephew. Sorry I went in!! First of all it was very dark with strobe lighting pulsating to the beat of music that was being played, then the assault of smelly stuff was everywhere. The layout of the shop was very difficult to gauge in the near dark and I was desperate to get out.i remember saying to my boyfriend "that place would give you a migraine" and sure enough the next day felt rotten and full of auras. That will teach me. Needless to say the nephew got tokens, so he will hopefully enjoy his shopping. I felt every one of my 42years in that shop. Happy Xmas!!!!! Can't wait till its finished!!!

Lesley anne

Back to top Go down