Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-Nausea Drug - Ondansetron (Zofran) is linked to Arrhythmias

2 posters

Go down

Anti-Nausea Drug  - Ondansetron (Zofran) is linked to Arrhythmias  Empty Anti-Nausea Drug - Ondansetron (Zofran) is linked to Arrhythmias

Post by Tee Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 am

By Peggy Peck, Executive Editor, MedPage Today
Published: September 15, 2011

Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

WASHINGTON -- A drug used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy may trigger dangerous and possibly lethal changes in heart rhythms, the FDA warned Thursday.

The drug, ondansetron (Zofran), may increase the risk of "developing prolongation of the QT interval of the electrocardiogram, which can lead to an abnormal and potentially fatal heart rhythm, including Torsade de Pointes," the FDA said.

In a warning issued to clinicians, the FDA said that patients at greatest risk include those with "underlying heart conditions, such as congenital long QT syndrome, [and] those who are predisposed to low levels of potassium and magnesium in the blood" as well as patients who are taking other medications also associated with QT prolongation.

Ondansetron is a 5-HT3 serotonin receptor antagonist, commonly prescribed to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery.

The FDA said it has ordered GlaxoSmithKline, which markets Zofran, to conduct a thorough QT study to determine the degree to which the drug may cause QT interval prolongation. The agency expects the results next summer.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/Chemotherapy/28538
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Anti-Nausea Drug  - Ondansetron (Zofran) is linked to Arrhythmias  Empty Re: Anti-Nausea Drug - Ondansetron (Zofran) is linked to Arrhythmias

Post by brainbox Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

That's very interesting
The local hospital told me that it wasn't anything to do with zofran that's it's a very good anti emetic

Yes I'm sure it is for some people personally it does take my mind off nausea while I'm having crushing chest pains within 10 mins of taking it each time

So I'm not going mad after all
Il try and refer to this next time I have to turn down zofran and im told to do without it, I have loads of medication sensivities but local a&e drs treat like I'm seeking drugs, I've been called a drug seeker for asking for paracetamol some people are just plain rude Evil or Very Mad
brainbox
brainbox

Back to top Go down