Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st post, first support forum

3 posters

Go down

1st post, first support forum Empty 1st post, first support forum

Post by popsicle Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:55 am

Hello! I am new to this discussion board, as I just recently started to research migraines. I had "bad headaches" off and on for a few years, but started getting them frequently in the last few years. They started coming more often after I exercised, and then they came every time I exercised. Now they come at least a few times per month. When they started coming with exercise I looked up exercise induced migraines and found that these are frequent and non-life threatening, and there's not much to be done. I am greatly disappointed because exercise means a lot to me, and not being able to exercise without triggering a migraine is incredibly frustrating! My doctor(s) have tried a few different things - blood pressure medicine (I do not have high blood pressure), ibuprofen and caffeine, imetrex (made me fall asleep - cannot function while asleep, although I don't function well with a migraine either). My most recent doctor shrugged off the migraines and told me that I've "gained a few pounds" and that I should "exercise daily." She obviously didn't read my file and when I tried to explain the situation she really didn't listen. The migraines come wherever and whenever now. Many times I wake up with a burgeoning migraine. I do my best with what I have, but try not to take too much OTC medicine because I don't want to get rebound headaches. I haven't actually been diagnosed with migraines, but I have classic symptoms; unbearable pain, nausea, dizziness, altered vision (what I call "swimmy eyes"). Sometimes my depth perception gets messed up, and my eyes get puffy. Anyway, I know this is a long post, but this is the first place I found where others might understand what I'm going through and may have some suggestions of what to do next.
Thanks for "listening"!

popsicle

Back to top Go down

1st post, first support forum Empty Re: 1st post, first support forum

Post by Tee Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 am

Hello there and welcome Smile

I am sorry to read there are coming more and more and that your GP is not listening. You are however doing the right thing and avoiding too many OTC meds. Last thing you want is MOH as well.

There are a few things you can do, for starters go and see another GP and get a diagnosis. They should be listening to you. This might help you talk their talk so to speak https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t185-types-of-migraine

Also, you sound like you have aura - so this might help also - https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t250-types-of-aura

The other thing that can help is keeping a diary - https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t223-migraine-diaries Taking a diary to your GP will help loads, as it will show the number of migs you are getting and the pain levels, you may even see a pattern appear. If you are getting 15 or more a month you need to start thinking about taking a preventative and in the first instance you need the GP to refer you to a headache neurologist - we can help with lists there

The other thing is to identify your triggers and avoid as many as you can - and exercise I am sorry to say is quite normal as a trigger and I understand your frustration. I have the same thing and it annoys me loads Sad I did find however that I was able to swim a little without it being kicked off and more gentle things like yoga are possible. But the cardio types are a big no no for me. This might help with the kinds of triggers which are out there - it is not easy I know and you may take a while to get them all. https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t330-types-of-triggers

Sorry I feel I have thrown loads at you - I hope it is of some help - but please please feel free you ask anything..... we have all been there and understand the frustration this illness brings with it.

Tee
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by popsicle Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:25 am

Thanks Tee. I really appreciate the info!

popsicle

Back to top Go down

Post by usedtobejolly Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:36 am

Hi

popsicle wrote:... (what I call "swimmy eyes"). Sometimes my depth perception gets messed up, and my eyes get puffy.

I think know just what you mean about "swimmy eyes" I get this sometimes, along with a whole host of other visual symptoms, and I also get the depth perception thing too. My doctor doesn't seem to understand migraine either, and like yours he attributes the problems to other things.

x
usedtobejolly
usedtobejolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down