Ginger, herbs ease migraines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ginger, herbs ease migraines

Post by Tee on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:21 am

Last updated: Friday, June 17, 2011Print

Migraine sufferers treated with a homeopathic preparation of ginger and the herb feverfew may find some pain relief, according to a preliminary study.

Feverfew, which is derived from a flowering plant, has long been thought to be a remedy for headaches. It might offer an alternative to standard migraine medications, which are costly, have side effects and don't always work, according the new report.

Migraine's cost on economy

About 12% of Americans get migraines, and the problem has been estimated to cost the US some $20 billion annually in lost productivity and medical care.

In the new study, researchers funded by PuraMed Bioscience, which makes the feverfew/ginger treatment, randomly assigned patients to take a preparation containing miniscule amounts of the two plants or a dummy treatment.

The patients were asked to treat themselves - by putting a little sachet with the preparations under their tongue - as soon as they recognised the signs of an approaching migraine. Forty five people took the homeopathic treatment and 15 took the placebo.

About a third of those who took feverfew and ginger were pain-free after two hours, compared to only half as many in the placebo group.

Strong positive results

Overall, 63% of those taking the homeopathic preparation saw some pain relief, while 39% did so among those taking the fake treatment.

Because the study was small, it's possible that those randomly assigned to take the placebo simply experienced more severe migraines to begin with.

But study researcher Dr Roger Cady said that was unlikely.

"I don't think that accounts for the differences in efficacy here," Cady, who directs the Headache Care Centre in Springfield, Missouri, US, told Reuters Health.

Unclear about how treatment works

While he thinks the findings are real, it's still unclear how exactly the treatment would work, he added.

The homeopathic preparation, called LipiGesic, sells for $29.95 for several doses.

Cady says people who experience migraines slowly, and therefore have the ability to treat them early and before they become severe, would be the best candidates to try the feverfew therapy.

Only preliminary results

"The results are really intriguing, but definitely preliminary," said Dr Rebecca Erwin Wells, an instructor at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre.

Wells said the study had some flaws and noted that one of the authors is also the CEO and chairman of PuraMed Bioscience. Still, she said, it's important to have studies on complementary or alternative therapies, particularly for people who suffer migraines.

http://www.health24.com/news/Headache/1-1248,63518.asp
Tee
Admin

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Ginger, herbs ease migraines

Post by Sheena Hulston on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:58 am

I tried feverfew and it didn't have any effect I tried the tablets and just chewing the leaves straight off the plant neither of which worked except to give me chronic indigestion!!
Maybe you have to have it with ginger to settle the tummy as well?
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:36 am

Ginger does help with the nausea....but only briefly..feverfew did nowt for me though. I have heard of feverfew helping some people but the ones I know of were not chronic sufferers.

Jane
x

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:24 am

I've tried feverfew twice, with horrible results. When I was a teenager it gave me hideous period pain. Then, I tried a feverfew spray, many years later, and I swear it actually gave me a migraine with aura.
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 am

Wouldn't surprise me Sarah..just cause it's 'natural' doesn't mean it is without it's side effects.

Makes me laugh how we don't believe ourselves and go in for a second try of something that made us ill..just to be ill again. That so sounds like something I would do.

J
xx

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:26 am

I know! Whatever possessed me, eh? Seems that all I need is a few years to convince myself that it's worth another go! Very Happy
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 pm

you sound like me...just had 5 acupuncture sessions..am covered in bruises (not that it hurt) and the only thing lighter is my purse LMAO.

Desperation makes us do weird stuff.

Jane
x

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 pm

It does indeed.Sad Sorry to hear about the acupuncture. I've not had any success with it either. x
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sisterphonetica on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 am

Ginger makes me throw up worse than ever when I have a migraine. I'd love it to help, but it doesn't. Sucking cheap and nasty mints can hold off the vomiting for a while though.
sisterphonetica

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 am

Mint is a good one for sickness - I find that better than ginger.......... but it only holds it of - so I am kind of the mind let me throw up and NOW......... thankfully I do not get it very often......... when I had that horrid vertigo mig a few weeks back the doc gave me some stuff to stop the sickness - which tasted horrid!!

Admin

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 pm

If there's ginger in the house during the prodrome phase, it won't remain for long. I can demolish large quantities of it. Not sure if it has any effect on the course of a migraine attack, but somehow I feel better for consuming it.

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum