Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work, benefits and DVLA

5 posters

Go down

Work, benefits and DVLA Empty Work, benefits and DVLA

Post by onandoffagain Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:16 am

[quote="Sheena Hulston"]
Funny how its one rule for some and one for others but as I said I wouldnt anyway,

Im really sorry you lost your license but I did phone the DVLA and hemiplegic migraine is not a reportable condition. I think it is probably different as I haven't had a stroke which is reportable. I also have no memory loss and have warning before a collapse. If i thought i was a danger on the road I would not drive at all. I have 2 young children and value them above everything.

Graham thank you for your offer, It adds so much stress to have employers that are not understanding. They are very clever and will find a way, I didn't realise they were covered by DDA as they are not a permanent disability for me, I think I will always fall through a hole in the net where I don't qualify for any of the benefits or protection of a recognised disability but still find life very difficult. Im so pleased to hear your wife is very supportive of you it is important. I do feel like a bit of a burden though sometimes especially when I am grumpy and feeling over sensitive (which I do a lot!)

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Work, benefits and DVLA Empty Re: Work, benefits and DVLA

Post by whitzendJane Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:07 am

If you lost your job or had to give up due to ill health you would be entitled to benefit..even if you work but need extra help above a 'normal' individual you could still be entitled to DLA...on both the care component and mobility component.

If you need help with things such as cooking meals and getting around generally then DLA isn't means tested and you can claim whilst in work.

Worth thinking about.

Kind regards
Jane
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi onandoffagain
Yes my "Stroke" was my first HM (I think) the first one I was taken in to ASU for 4/5 days the 2nd one I was left untreated at home and the 3rd one I went to a&e face fell arm and leg didnt work and the pain kicked in. Id had a week before all this when id acted odd and driven 50 miles with no idea how id got there so when I told them that Bang they took my license. But that 3rd time they refused to treat me as they didnt know what was wrong with me and sent me home being sick every 5 mins with the pain then my life changed I would stare at walls couldnt decide what to eat, burn food, and sat in dark rooms with no noise. So thats was my symptoms but now meds in, brain back a bit but aura kicks in any time so Curry tonight could be plain chicken and rice unless someone is in to open the jar for me Ha ha. My aura ( right arm and leg not working 4/6 days out of 10) can just kick in. Been promised a drug to help then get my license back YEA!!!!!

Graham
I was just fired by EDF after two appeals I threw the DDA at them and the ACAS rule that you can only fire someone if you can prove they will never be fit to return to there normal duties. I was told I was fit to return to work and they still fired me as I could not drive even although they employ people to do my job who dont drive stating it was because I lived in a rural area...... we still have doors to call on down here and buses!!! Evil or Very Mad
Sheena x
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by onandoffagain Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Sheena that's so sad, It must make you very frustrated and undervalued, my work would be going the same route with driving. I couldn't do my job without my car so I was more than delighted when i spoke to the DVLA. I feel even thought there is a lot of support under the DAA, employers are clever and they will find other ways to push you out of they can. Its such a shame.
I have got my work to reduce my hours though, originally an application based on my parental rights but then my Gp wrote on my 'fit note' that A reduction in working hours would improve my health.
I am currently using a crutch when out with my family as my leg becomes so tired when walking it becomes impossible, but at work I have become very good at hiding my symptoms and rarely have to walk further than up a drive or down a corridor! I feel a bit sneaky but I cant afford to lose my job.
I hope that when my hours are less i will be less tired and less stressed which is a major trigger for me.
I hope you get your jar open! xx

onandoffagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheena Hulston Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 am

No Tried not working today!!! so maybe chicken something!! I am usually ok on the flat but oh!!!! stairs and hills!!!! My Physio gave me a neat trick just step over a phone book!!! Stand with good leg behind book and step over it with bad leg and back for some reason it works to bring it back a bit!!!
Worked for me anyway 5 mins at a time was all I could do! Hope it helps X
Sheena Hulston
Sheena Hulston

Back to top Go down

Post by wildone Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:41 am

Sheena

I am amazed that EDF, as a big multi national company can do that to you.

The criteria for migraine and DDA as laid down, are that the migraines need to be frequent, and that's about it, and under the rules the employer has to make reasonable adjustments to accomodate you, If you was driving in your normal work practice and it could be proven that they employ people to do the same job as you who do not drive, you would of had a case, was you in a union, and if so the union should have backed you on that, also they should not have fired you but offered you medical retirement.

Onandoffagain

Glad your employers saw sense and your GP backed you up with reducing your hours, GP's can be very useful if you get to know them well and can give you a lot of support as I have found out.

When I finished work in 2008 (stroke) I was given medical retirement with a deffered pension until I was 60, I got my consultant to write to my employer who was Royal Mail, outlining my condition, and more or less saying I would never work again, RM came back to me with full pension and lump sum straight away, which was fantastic.

Also with my benefits I get DLA at full mobility and mid carer's also after an appeal for the Employment Support Allowance my GP supported me on it, writing to the DWP for me, I was then put in the support group so extra money there, and my wife gets full carer's allowance for me.
I find you have to know your way round the benefits system to make full use of them, and also know how to fill in the 60 page forms they send you.

So the moral of this is keep the GP informed of everything and don't be affraid to ask them for something.

Graham

wildone

Back to top Go down

Work, benefits and DVLA Empty Work and benefits

Post by Tee Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 am

When I read all this I count myself very very lucky. I worked (still technically do) for PWC a massive international accountancy firm and they have been absolutely brilliant - they gave me a works doctors (who was brilliant) a health co-ordinator (again brilliant) and offered me a counsellor which I refused. They have made it quite clear my job is waiting for me, and that they will support me in a slow return to work and that I can work from home. I cannot fault them in anyway.

One thing I do thank them for is insisting that all employees have income protection insurance - at the time it seems a waste of money - but now its a god send. It is one thing I shall make sure my kids have regardless of who they work for Wink

OK I only get half my original salary, but with that and incapacity benefit we are OK.

Also, worked pushed me to make the incapacity claim and again I must have been lucky as I explained that I had problems with form filling / reading (was back in the days when I was ga ga after the TIA) and they did it with my over the phone - OK it took ages and I need have to a break - but the lady was so nice.

The only thing I had problems with was the critical illness claim - the insurance company was a total nightmare and i had to get the ombudsmen involved - and Graham you are quite correct - my GP wrote to them and i am sure it was her letter that finally made them pay out. Smile

Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:57 am

THE ABOVE WAS STARTED IN 'ME AND MY HEMIPLEGIC MIGRAINES' THREAD - THOUGHT IT WOULD BE BETTER MOVED TO THIS NEW TOPIC THREAD SUGGESTED BY GRAHAM

THIS IS THE OLD POSTS IF YOU NEED TO READ BACK

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk/t217-me-and-my-hemiplegic-migrains#922
Tee
Tee
Admin

https://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by wildone Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:11 am

Tee,

Great to see you have started this thread, where people can post their experiences over in a nutshell of money matters.

I took out a critical health insurance some ten years ago, cost about £10 a month with a big Building Society/Bank, and whey I had my stroke it paid out almost £50,000 and well worth it, together with my medical retirement pension which is about half my salary was before, and the DLA and little bit of ESA, I see my self quite well off compared to others, it pays to plan for the future, as you never know what's around the corner, also as I'm quite young at 52 lol I hope I've got a good few years ahead.

Graham

wildone

Back to top Go down

Post by whitzendJane Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 am

My insurance are refusing to pay up..having quite a battle but I haven't given up yet.

Get DLA and incapacity..jumping through the ESA hoops at present.
whitzendJane
whitzendJane
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down