Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines and smoking

2 posters

Go down

Migraines and smoking Empty Migraines and smoking

Post by niknakvirago Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi,Im a 56 year old male and I have had migraines for about 30 years. I would like to pass on something that has changed my life completely.
My migraines were once or twice a month and I would wake up with them. they were so awful I had to spend all day in bed in a dark room,I was violently sick and could not predict the onset so was loath to make plans for holidays etc.
My doctor gave me Imigran Radis which is very good and does stop the headache so long as I took the pill before my stomach stop digesting which because I woke up with my headache was hard to get around.
Two years ago this coming March I stopped smoking and It has changed my life completely. At no point did it come up as a cause for migraine in discussions with my doctor, I just thought it was time to stop and I am so glad I did as my headaches are far less severe and I've only had two days in bed since I stopped smoking .they are absolutely controllable now.They have not stopped completely but I wake up now and instead of a full blown headache instantly followed by a lost day, I feel hung over and take a half imigran tablet then 30 mins later Im fine and usually good for the day. I now take a pack of tablets a month where as I used to take two packs every month.
I am keen to pass this on as I was fed up with the way everything was going and I thought I was doomed to suffer into old age which I thought would be awful.I am not a born again non smoker as I really enjoyed it and thought I would never quit even as I was packing up I thought I would most likely smoke again in the future but as soon as I realised that it made my migraines a lot less frequent and no where near as severe I knew now I will never smoke again.
I hope this can help someone. It has changed my life and I look forward to the rest of it

niknakvirago

Back to top Go down

Migraines and smoking Empty Re: Migraines and smoking

Post by Sarah Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm

What a great success story! Thanks for posting.

I'm sure you'll see some other good health results from not smoking too, but what a bonus on the migraines. Smile

Sarah

Back to top Go down