Weird feeling in my head

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weird feeling in my head

Post by tsetseflysteve on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 pm

My name is Steve i am 43 and i have been suffering with migraine/headaches since I’ve been 21.
They like many of you i guess are different each time, but since I’ve gotten older i have this head feeling that is unexplainable, it’s a combination of woozy, drunk, disorientated makes you feel nausea's and hyperventilate at times then of course the pain comes at some point, I’ve also had the visual auras at the beginning and at the end?

My question is am i different or has anybody else had different symptoms at different times?

Steve
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Re: Weird feeling in my head

Post by tsetseflysteve on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 am

Update
I wrote that last message as i was having my last damn migraine, now it just seems to be there and hanging around... So i will give a proper account of my head.

I have had 4 MRI's 2 CT's at the very beginning and 1 more recent as my headaches changed and my GP wanted to make sure nothing was going on
I am like someone else i read about on here, I have a real issue with meds, i have been put on many,
Amitriptyline, nortriptyline , Voltarol , asprin, Propranalol, Gabapentin, Codeine, Paracetemaol, Citalipram and some others but forgotten the names.

They did not work or did but the side efects were worse than the migraine itself. I have tried the Herbal medicine and acupuncture too, also massage, they all work for a while then the migraine seems to find a way through.

What i can’t understand is that i thought they eased with age but mine seem to be getting weirder and stranger as i have aged. Whereas it all use to be pain and now it’s the odd feeling like you’re having a damn stroke, i feel like Dr's don’t really get the pain and discomfort we go through, i have these at least three times a month so that’s 12 days a month where i can’t do anything of great value or have to cancel plans, is there a miracle out there that I have not tried yet, please help.....

Steve
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 am

I was always told that migraines would decrease with age, and up until my late twenties that seemed to be the case, but since then they have been getting worse. Mine have certainly been getting more weird.

I agree that the medical profession in general has little understanding of what some of us go through. They seem to understand "textbook" cases well enough, but I wonder how many of us actually fit into that category. I think nearly every migraineur has some level of weirdness in their symptoms. These seem to be conveniently ignored by the professionals.

Like you, I have yet to find a medication that is effective and doesn't have serious side effects. Currently I'm not on any medication.

I know I display physical stroke like symptoms. In fact I have been rushed to hospital on many occasions when medics, police or passers by thought I was having a stroke. But often it's more of a "brain fog" which, although doesn't incapacitate me, causes me to perform well below my "normal" self.

And yes, the symptoms I display vary from one attack to another. I have a list of about a dozen symptoms which are relatively common, of which I might get half of during any attack, plus at least as many again less common symptoms which may also occur.

I would love to have only 12 days a month where I have migraine symptoms. Currently it's about 12 days a month when I have no symptoms. I've been looking for a miracle cure for fifty years, and am still looking. If you happen to find one, please be sure to let us know. All the best

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tsetseflysteve on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:13 am

Thank you for the reply, Brain fog seems a good description, its awful, often i wonder how long iv'e been silent or staring and its trying to remember words or remember what i started to talk about in the first place.

i Feel for you, i get brain fog quite a lot actually it scares me to death sometimes that something else is going on.

Although i said nothing works Codeine and Paracetamol seem to work if taken at the correct time which is very rare in my case, also my gp has given me 15mg codeine so i can take up to 60mg if needed, also not sure what Herbals you have tried but i alternate my Herbal meds with Acupuncture and i am taking it again i go to a Herbalist who iv'e know since a child and she is very attentive.

I take Liquid form, Ashwagandha, Ginkgo, and Stachys and one other which i forget but really helps me.

Can i ask what you do to cope with the foggy heads..
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 am

What do I do for the brain fog? Basically wait it out.There are many tasks I wouldn't dare to attempt depending on the "fog level". Driving and using machinery are the first things I avoid, but if it's really bad, I'll even let the answering machine take phone calls, as I'll either be incoherent or likely to forget the conversation the moment I put the phone down. It can get to the stage where I'm so disoriented that I have no idea who I am. I've ended up in the emergency department of the hospital a few times due to that.

I haven't found any herbal remedies that help. Gingko is definitely off my list as it causes arrhythmia quite severely when I take it.

Stachys seemed to make the fog worse. I'm not familia with Ashwagandha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:54 am

I've never found anything to help with that confused feeling either. I think you just have to let your brain repair itself.

I've not really had much luck with herbs - I've had slightly more luck with vitamins and minerals. I take high dose riboflavin (vitamin B2), as it helps a little, and I've also noticed that zinc and iron help me a bit (but my migraines are mostly caused by my hormones, I think).
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tsetseflysteve on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:15 am

Hi and thank you for your reply too, I really do not get this weird feeling, (cotton wool - Numb - odd - vacant - strange). What is it? Does anyone know whats actually happening to our brains when we get these strange feelings?

So how and when would you administer the Vits and minerals, pre warning signs or every day?

tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:47 pm

I think vitamins and minerals only work preventatively. I don't think they are powerful enough to treat the symptoms as they arise. Supposedly it is supposed to take around 3 months to know whether vitamins and minerals are helping or not, but I tend to know sooner than that.

I have no idea what physically causes that feeling. It's scary though, isn't it? The worst aura I had (a few months ago), was one where I couldn't make sense of a single thing, or communicate in any way. I was alone in the house and it made me realise that I wouldn't have even been able to contact A&E beyond just ringing 999 and mumbling incoherently into the phone. Thankfully, mine aren't normally that bad.
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 am

That not being able to make sense of anything happens about a dozen times a year for me. The condition itself has never distressed me, perhaps because I lack the cognitive skills at the time to realise. It's when it occurs while I am not being accompanied by family or friend that understands my condition, that's the problem. I'm likely to be whisked away to the nearest hospital emergency department. And that's the last place I want to be. The noise, lights and commotion that's ever present in the emergency department are extremely painful to experience, especially as I'm also autistic. At such times I don't have the skills to explain my discomfort. It's the nearest thing to hell on earth that I can imagine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:45 pm

I can quite imagine. Do you have some sort of medical information you can keep with you that would explain it to medical staff if you are whisked off to hospital by someone well-meaning?

Luckily for me, the only times I've ever experienced anything like it have been in my home. Although I've been on my own, so quite a scary feeling. Luckily, the really confused feeling only lasted about 5 minutes or so, then I felt slightly more able to communicate and make sense of the basics after that.
Sarah
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tsetseflysteve on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 am

It all sounds really horrible, had another odd feeling again today, had to leave a restaurant for Sunday dinner, i was sitting there and i could feel my frustration building, it make me quite cross and sometime i am quite short with people and i dont mean to be. Just explained i had to go, slept for 3 hours when i got home with the aide of pain killers and i am now ok.....
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:28 pm

@Sarah: I wear a Medic Alert bracelet which has my most common symptoms plus the phone number of the Medic Alert Centre which has a more complete description, plus contact information for Dr, and several family members. The problem is that my symptoms appear very stroke-like, so to be on the safe side, the paramedics invariably decide to play it safe and take me to hospital. I've been told I sometimes become uncooperative if I learn that the destination is hospital.

@tsetseflysteve: I understand being short/cross with people. It happens to me at times, even if there is little pain. It's quite unpredictable when it occurs, and I certainly don't intend to be rude. It's just that sometimes, particularly during the prodrome phase, I find social interaction extremely exhausting. I feel the frustration when others expect me to interact "normally", when all I want to do is "switch off" or "tune out".

Back to top Go down

Post by tsetseflysteve on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you every body for making IT feel a little more normal among us Migraine sufferers, albeit far from..... I just can not believe no one has found something to relieve the symptoms of this debilitating medical condition, if there were more days lost from work they would up there game.....Again thank you, i will keep my eye on this amazing site as it has given me a little more reassurance that i am not completely mad.....
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:48 am

You're welcome tsetseflysteve. I have found this forum very helpful. It's just a pity it's not as active as it was when I first joined a few years ago. Perhaps a few new mwmbers will bring it back to life Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by tsetseflysteve on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Nebivolol Has anyone tried this beta blocker and if so any help from it? side effects....
tsetseflysteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi all

Hugs steve - your not alone by any means - the fog hits most of us - and like the other - waiting it out seems the only possible help.

But look up depersonalization - it will not help with a cure but it will give you a bit more of an understanding of what this is.

I have recently found that mediation and antihistamine to help - The meditation enables me to stop the nerons in my brain firing and therefore resting - it took a while to settle and switch my brain off - but I now practice TM meditation and listen to guided mediataions - anything to help the body rest and relax fully.

Also indian head massage - which st first I thought would be hell - but that helps to release the pressure too.

The antihistamine is an odd once - as my doc says there is no link - but I am at the reserach stage and I have found studies to show a link with migs and histamine - about to see a gasto doc to take this further.

Also hair anaylisis is a good thing to look at as that will help identify any minerals you may be short of Smile

All trail and error as always Smile

Admin

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Another thought - I note you have had these for years and have tried loads of meds - have you got a current consultant - you could push to try the botox - as it looks like to fit the criteria x

Admin

http://migrainetalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum