Migraine Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!)

2 posters

Go down

Hemiplegic - Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!) Empty Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!)

Post by purple19m Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:59 pm

I had mild migraines through childhood and then migraine with aura in my late teens, my real problems started after the birth of my first son, I was ill for months and had to wait a long time for a diagnosis which the neurologist eventually gave me as Hemiplegic Migraine.

After trying Amitryptyline and Propananol which did not work for me I then got prescibed Pizotifen, the difference was amazing very quickly I felt normal again, and it especially helped the dizziness I had constantly for months.

However I am currently getting hemiplegic attacks when I ovulate and when I have my period which I guess ties in with the start of my Hemiplegic attacks ( I assume due to hormonal changes after pregnancy)

I have been prescribed topirimate and verapamil in the last month due to an attack during my period which ended up in me being admitted to hospital. Right now I feel exhausted and if i'm around too much noise or lights I feel the aura come on and my left side weakens, I have been taking baby aspirin which helps take the edge off.

I hate taking any medicines as I am very careful about what I put into my body, I do not wear any perfumes, have stopped eaten gluten,red meat and anything sugary and my diet mainly consists of fruit, veg,rice, chicken and eggs.

When I take topiramate I feel unstable on my feet and extremely depressed and when I take Verapamil I feel too exhausted to move which again leaves me depressed.

I have just added B2, Magnesium Citrate and Feverfew to my routine and I have been taking a multivitamin and Omega 3 for several years now and along with Pizotifen have my attacks down to two a month, if I can just find a way to prevent the hormonal ones I think I would be able to get on top of these attacks.

As my doctors are at a loss of how to stop them without hormones I am left with trying different prescription meds until something prevents them. I have tried two mini pills but this led to constant migraine aura, and I know hormones can cause me more harm then good.

I would grateful if you could provide me with any information that may help me beat the beast, I have done a lot of research but the outcomes are usually either Hemiplegic or Hormonal solutions and mine is a combination of this.

Again I thank you for your time.

purple19m

Back to top Go down

Hemiplegic - Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!) Empty Re: Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!)

Post by Sarah Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:58 am

I can totally understand your frustration, as I battle with (non hemiplegic) hormonal migraines.

Other supplements you might consider are zinc (which definitely helps me a little - don't take it at the same time as your magnesium) and vitamin B6, in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Hemiplegic - Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!) Empty Re: Hemiplegic Migraine (hormones!!)

Post by purple19m Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for your reply I will look into the options you suggested.

My Dr. is not too happy with me right now, he said I need to choose between Topiramate or Verapamil and stick to it properly for a while.

I hate both! I don't feel right on Topiramate and I feel totally exhausted on Verapamil, wander how long that takes to wear off as I am only on the starting dose.

I hate side effects and keep giving up but I know I need to pick one, just so hard to decide.

purple19m

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am

I know what you mean. I am super sensitive to side effects and never seem to be able to tolerate any preventatives for long enough to see if they actually work!

I'm trying coconut oil at the moment. It's supposed to be brilliant for everything, including both hormones and migraines generally. I'm not expecting a miracle or anything, but it seemed worth a try. I'm not really up to a therapeutic 'dose' yet though (you're supposed to eat 3 tablespoons a day, and I'm not even at 2 yet).

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by purple19m Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 am

I've decided to try the Verapamil for a few weeks and see how I go.

I have read about the coconut oil be interesting to see if that helps. Added that to my list of possibilities.

I even gone as far as only drinking filtered plain tap water, as never know what could be triggering them!

I had a copper coil for a few years and I think that made them worse as when I had it out I had three good months and only got another bad one because of gluten after that which is why I am now gluten free......and no more sinus pain since I stopped eating that too.YAY

I've got pain behind my ear today and thinking maybe I have an ear infection that is triggering my flare up as I have not suffered like this for ages. I know there is a reason for this as usually I only get two a month for 3 days and this one is lasting with the weakness on my left side, getting so bored resting now!

Back to Drs for me, think they might ban me soon I only went on Monday!

We will win in the end I am determined!Winners Never Quit!

purple19m

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 am

Interesting that you said about the copper coil, as copper overload is something else you could look into, if you haven't already. http://www.melissadianesmith.com/Articles/CopperOverLoad.html

I know what you mean - I feel as though so many things are off the menu for me these days, one way or another.

I'll feed back on here when I've got an idea whether the coconut oil is helping or not.

Ouch at the ear infection! Hope you get it sorted. Best of luck with the Verapamil trial.

Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down