Migraines and gastro-intestinal problems???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Migraines and gastro-intestinal problems???

Post by Looper on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 am

Hi, first time poster here. Rather embarrassing question. I've had classic migraine headaches now for some 40+ years. Always the same: Aura>headache>extreme nausea. The nausea was gut-wrenching and would with rare, rare exception always lead to my vomiting which would then typically at least end the headache. Over the years the aura and headache have virtually remained the same but what I have found in the last ten years or so is that the nausea is no longer present but seems to have transformed into an uncontrolled diarrhea, which is most embarrassing as you might imagine.

Is this normal to transition from the nausea to this other problem and has anyone else experienced this? I haven't been able to stop this unwanted side effect of migraine as of yet but was curious what others might have tried? Sorry to be a bit graphic in my words but this is most difficult and embarrassing to deal with.Crying or Very sad 

Looper

Back to top Go down

Re: Migraines and gastro-intestinal problems???

Post by pīwakawaka on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:18 pm

For some people, their migraines stay much the same and don't change, while for others the symptoms can change significantly over time. So I don't see anything abnormal in your description of the changes you describe. Is is common? I don't know. I haven't heard of that specific change before, although I have heard of people experiencing diarrhoea with migraines.

I had migraines with nausea and occasional vomiting as a teenager, but thankfully that is extremely rare for me these days.

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Looper on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 am

Well I guess I was a little embarrassed to ask but is diarrhea a typical sequel of migraine?

Looper

Back to top Go down

Post by pīwakawaka on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03 pm

A quick search of "diarrhoea and migraines" on Google returns over a million results. I wouldn't go as far as to say that diarrhoea a typical sequel of migraine but it is frequently listed as one of the possible physical symptoms associated with migraines.

Have a look at this article:
  What Are Silent Migraines?
It might be helpfull

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:12 am

I've never had the nausea, but often have diarrhea along with my migraine attacks.
Laura

http://www.facebook.com/laura.elizabeth.phillips?sk=info

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum