Does anybody have a permanent visual aura?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does anybody have a permanent visual aura?

Post by kitt on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm new to this forum, and my son is typing for me. Since February I started with a aura of a 'smudge' in my vision when I concentrate, preceded with substantial pain in my head and body, muscle jerking etc. The pain sometimes subsides however I have never been able to recover from the aura which is totally invasive and results in me not being able to type, read, drive, or any other activity that relies heavily on my vision. MRI shows nothing, I'm just desperate to speak to somebody else who has the same visual aura problems to see how they have managed. Thank you.
kitt

Back to top Go down

Re: Does anybody have a permanent visual aura?

Post by pīwakawaka on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am

I really feel for you.

I assume such things a cataracts etc have been eliminated as possibilities as you mention the "smudge" is only apparent when you concentrate visually?

I sometimes get a visual disturbance which I have recently learnt is called visual perseverance. This is where a positive after-image persists after the removal of an object. In the case of moving objects it leaves a blur in its wake. It's a bit like an image from a camera which has been moved during exposure. Perhaps this is what your "smudge" is?

As I understand it, visual perseverance is related to visual trails. A visual trail is where an object in motion is followed by a discrete series of stationary images that fade out along its trajectory.

Other related disturbances are:
Akinetopsia: An object in motion is not perceived as moving continuously; rather it is experiences as a series of stills. The perception of motion is abolished and a single frame can be seen at any one time.
Polyopia: Multiple images of an object (from 2 to 100 in extreme cases) are perceived simultaneously. Polyipia is not specific to objects in motion.
Palinopsia: Similar to visual perseverance, but with a lag between the removal of the object and the onset of the after image. Moving objects appear much like as in visual perseverance, except that there can be a gap between a moving object and its perseverant tail.

http://anotherspectrum.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kitt on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks for that, it's really interesting to know there's so much information. I can't relate to any of the above it seems my aura/smudge comes centrally at any point of focusing and is not related to a specific object. I've had all of the tests but nothing shows with my ophthalmics. I have just started on a new course of anti-convulsants to see if these help. I'm now treating my aura as a visual impairment and looking for systems to work with that can assist me with my computer etc as again, my wonderful son is typing this (Hello Very Happy) What would I do without him!

Thank you so much for your reply and I wish you well!
kitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum